Clinton, S.C. – The Presbyterian College women’s basketball team hits the road for its final regular season game of the 2017-18 season as it plays at Charleston Southern on Saturday, March 3 at 3:00 p.m.
Who: Presbyterian (11-17, 8-9 BSC) at Charleston Southern (10-18, 5-12 BSC)
When: Saturday, March 3 – 3:00 p.m.
Where: Charleston, S.C. – The Buc Dome
Watch: Big South Network
Social Media: @BueHoseWBB
Last Time Out
- Presbyterian defeated the UNC Asheville Bulldogs by a 72-63 score in overtime on Tuesday night. Cortney Storey scored a Division I era PC record of 30 points.
- She scored 15 points in regulation and then 15 of the 18 points in overtime.
- No other player scored in double figures but six scored between six and eight points.
- The Blue Hose recorded 11 steals in the contest, their second straight game with 10+.
Blue Hose Offensive Notes
- PC is averaging 59.3 points per game this season on 36.9 percent shooting from the field, 31.6 percent from three and a Big South leading 75.4 percent from the charity stripe. The Blue Hose are 8-0 this season when scoring at least 65 points.
- Presbyterian scored 75+ points in back to back games vs Winthrop and UNC Asheville. This was the first time scoring 75+ in consecutive games against Division I opponents in the Division I era. It had previously scored 75+ in back to back games vs Columbia College and Montreat in the 2011-12 season.
- PC made 10+ three-pointers in five straight games from the Gardner-Webb game (1/16) through the Charleston Southern game (1/30), that is a PC Division I era record.
- The Blue Hose average a Big South leading 8.9 three-point makes per game, that ranks 16th in the country.
- 28 games into the season and the Blue Hose have already set the single season record for made three-pointers with 249. They have a minimum of two games to continue adding to the record. 249 is currently the fourth most any Big South team has ever made in a season.
- The 31.6 percent from three is the second highest rate in program history. The record of 38.0 percent was done in 2012-13, a season they only shot 366 threes compared to already having taken 789 threes this season.
- The Blue Hose rank in the top 50 nationally in three major categories, three-point makes per game (8.9) is number 16, total three-pointers made (249) is number 25 and free throw percentage (75.4) is number 37.
- The Blue Hose have improved their free throw percentage each of the last four seasons from 68.2 in 2014-15, to 72.7 in 2015-16, 74.9 in 2016-17 and 75.4 this season.
- PC gains 8.1 steals per game as a team, that ranks third in the Big South. Overall it has 10 games this season with 10+. The 8.1 steals per game is the third best in a single season during the Division I era. 8.5 in 2009-10 is the best followed by 8.3 in 2015-16.
- When PC scored 83 points at USC Upstate it tied the ninth most points in a single game with the 83 scored vs Truett-McConnell on 12/16/13.
- The Blue Hose set a program record for three-point percentage when they made 61.1 percent of their three-pointers (11-18) versus Upstate (11/15).
- The Blue Hose set a new record for made free throws in a game when they went 30-34 vs North Carolina Central.
- Storey scored a personal and school Division I record with 30 points vs UNC Asheville, 15 of them came in five minutes of overtime. She has also set school records in assists with 14 vs Winthrop (1/23), made free throws and free throw attempts with 17 and 18 vs North Carolina Central (12/17) and made field goals with 11 vs High Point (2/17).
- Storey has also set season highs in 20-point games with nine and 30-point games with one. She has four games this season in which she has exceeded 25 points.
- Kacie Hall scored 23 points on 9-15 shooting and 4-7 from three vs Campbell (1/13). The nine made field goals were a career high. She followed that up with 20 points vs Gardner-Webb (1/16) on five made threes.
- Ericka Blackwell-Boyden scored a career high 15 points versus UNCG (12/21) on 70.0 percent shooting from the field. She added her second double figure effort vs Longwood (2/10) scoring 12 points off the bench.
- Janie Miles had the best stretch of her career as she averaged 14.7 points per game over six games from GWU (1/16) through the Liberty game (2/3). Six straight double figure games is a personal record. She surpassed the 1,000-point mark at Liberty. She then scored 13 vs Longwood (2/10) making it seven over eight games. She tied her career high with 11 rebounds at Gardner-Webb (2/20).
- Riley Hemm in her first career start scored 12 points with five rebounds and two assists versus NC Central (12/17) all three figures were career highs. Hemm recorded three assists vs Longwood (2/10).
- Salina Virola had her best game of the season versus Winthrop as she was two rebounds shy of a double-double with 13 points and eight rebounds. This was her first double figure effort of the season. She made her first start of the season at UNC Asheville and scored eight points with four rebounds in 18 minutes.
- Freshmen have recorded 11 double figure efforts this season. Macee Tamminen has the most with four followed by Tess Santos with three and Mattie Kennedy with two. Briley Buckner and Kiara Jackson each have one game with 10+ points.
- Tamminen’s best game was a career high 18 points and three steals vs Gardner-Webb (1/16).
- Santos has the highest scoring game by a freshman with 19 points vs Liberty (1/2).
- Kennedy’s best game scoring wise was 13 vs Kennesaw State (11/21) but then had 10 points and nine rebounds at Winthrop (2/6).
- Buckner scored 11 points at Duke (11/26) and Jackson scored 10 at High Point (1/9).
1,000 Point Scorers
- Storey with 1,315 points became the third member of the PC Division I era to score 1,000 points and member number 111 from the Big South. She passed Mariah Pietrowski in the first quarter on Tuesday to become the Division I era all-time scorer. Miles surpassed the 1,000-point mark at Liberty with her 13 points. Following the UNC Asheville game she now sits at 1,058 points which is the fourth most in PC’s Division I era.
Storey Leading the Big South
- Storey is currently first in the Big South in scoring at 15.7, assists at 6.0 and minutes per game at 38.9. She is second in steals at 2.1, and free throw percentage at 82.4 and third in field goal percentage at 45.6 percent.
Storey Setting Records
- Storey is having her best season as well as one of the best seasons in PC history as she is scoring 15.7 points, dishing out 6.0 assists, grabbing 3.2 rebounds and picking up 2.1 steals per game this season. 38.9 minutes per game is her best and ranks third nationally. 167 assists are 23rd and 6.0 assists per game is 22nd as well.
- r- Storey’s points (440), points per game (15.7), assists (167), assists per game (6.0) are all single season PC records. She is six steals and 0.1 steals per game off of the records for that statistic as well.
- Cortney is already the Division I record holder in points (1,315), field goal attempts (1,106), assists (513), assists per game (4.3), games started (119), minutes (4,197) and minutes per game (35.0).
- Storey is tied-second in points per game (11.0) and in second by herself in made field goals (444), made free throws (305), and steals (220).
- Storey is the first player in PC history and 11th player in Big South history to exceed 1,000 points (1,315), 500 assists (513), and 200 steals (220).
- Storey ranks in the top 10 in PC overall history in scoring; 1,315 points in eighth, 513 assists are third and 220 steals is sixth.
Miles Having Career Year
- Miles is having her best season statistically in a number of categories: she is scoring 9.7 points per game, made 58 threes, grabbed 127 rebounds and 4.5 per game while dishing out 62 assists.
- Miles’ 58 threes made this season is the sixth most in a season and her 37.4 three-point percentage is 10th in a season. She is 80.4 percent from the free throw line, also 10th for a single season.
- For her career she is fourth in points at 1,058, eighth in scoring 8.7, fourth in made field goals (348), 10th in field goal percentage (39.6), second in made threes (189), fourth in three-point percentage (35.7), fifth in made free throws (173), fourth in assists (205) and steals (134) and third in minutes (3540).
- Miles is tied-sixth in Big South history in three-point percentage.
Storey Named Preseason All-Conference
- Senior PG Storey has been named to 2017-18 Big South Preseason All-Conference team. She was the 2014-15 Freshman of the Year, 2015-16 Big South Honorable Mention and 2016-17 Big South Second Team honoree.
- Storey is the first preseason honoree since Karlee Taylor in 2013-14.
Scouting the Buccaneers
- The Buccaneers enter this final regular season game with a 10-18 overall record and 5-12 mark in Big South play. They have currently lost six in a row with three coming by single digits.
- Charleston Southern scores 62.9 points and allows 62.8 points per game this season. It also has a slightly higher shooting percentage than its opposition at 39.6 percent to 38.1 percent and 30.9 percent from three to 28.4 percent from the opposition.
- The Buccaneers grab 37.6 rebounds and swat 4.0 shots per game.
- Njeri Nelms is the leading scorer for Charleston Southern at 10.0 per game, Weknyne Dumorne and Shelby Wilbanks are next at 9.3 per game.
- Dumorne leads the way in rebounds at 7.7 and Rachel Burns grabs 5.5 per game.
- Charleston Southern is led by head coach Fred Applin.
Blue Hose vs the Buccaneers
- This will be game number 26 between PC and CSU with Charleston Southern leading the series 13-12. The Buccaneers won game one this season by a 64-61 score.
- The Blue Hose made 12 three-pointers and grabbed a season high 42 rebounds in this game.
- Santos finished the game two rebounds shy of a double-double with 10 points, eight rebounds while Storey was one assists shy with 12 points, and nine assists. Miles led the way scoring with 14 points.
- Charleston Southern has won two in a row in the series, prior to that Presbyterian had won seven in a row.