Clinton, S.C. – The Presbyterian College Blue Hose women’s basketball team returns to the court on Tuesday as they travel to face the Winthrop Eagles at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, February 6 in Rock Hill, S.C. at the Winthrop Coliseum.
Who: Presbyterian (7-14, 4-6 Big South) at Winthrop (2-19, 1-9 Big South)
When: Tuesday, February 6 – 7:00 p.m.
Where: Rock Hill, S.C. – Winthrop Coliseum (6,100)
Watch: Big South Network
Social Media: @BlueHoseWBB
Last Time Out
- Presbyterian fell to the first place Liberty Flames by a 63-55 score on Saturday in Lynchburg. It was the second loss of the week by single digits for PC.
- Four different Blue Hose players finished in double figures led by Janie Miles who scored career point 1,000 during the game. Miles led the way with 13 points.
- Cortney Storey and Tess Santos were next with 11 points each and then Salina Virola chipped in 10 as well. Storey had a fourth straight game with seven-plus assists as she finished with seven exactly. Santos led the team in rebounding for a second straight game with six.
- The Blue Hose knocked in eight three-pointers as their streak of 10+ threes ended at five, they continue to lead the Big South at 9.1 makes per game.
Blue Hose Offensive Notes
- PC is averaging 60.1 points per game this season on 37.7 percent shooting from the field, 32.2 percent from three and a Big South leading 76.6 percent from the charity stripe. The Blue Hose are 7-0 this season when scoring at least 65 points.
- Presbyterian scored 75+ points in back to back games vs Winthrop and UNC Asheville. This was the first time scoring 75+ in consecutive games against Division I opposition in the Division I era. It had previously scored 75+ in back to back games vs Columbia College and Montreat in the 2011-12 season.
- PC made 10+ three-pointers in five straight games from the Gardner-Webb game (1/16) through the Charleston Southern game (1/30), that is a PC Division I era record.
- The Blue Hose average a Big South leading 9.1 three-point makes per game, that ranks number 14 in the country.
- 21 games into the season and the Blue Hose have already made 192 three-point baskets which ranks as the third most in a single season in the Division I era, the Blue Hose still have a minimum of nine games to play. They are on pace to make 274 three-pointers which would break the record of 230 set last season.
- The 32.2 percent from three is the second highest rate in program history. The record of 38.0 percent was done in 2012-13, a season they only shot 366 threes compared to already having taken 596 threes this season.
- The Blue Hose rank in the top 25 nationally in two categories, three-point makes per game (9.1) is number 14 and free throw percentage (76.6) is number 19.
- The Blue Hose have improved in free throw percentage each of the last four seasons, 68.2 in ‘14-15, 72.7 in ‘15-16, 74.9 in ‘16-17 and 76.6 this season.
- PC has overcome 10-plus point deficits to win three of its seven games. It was down 14 in the win over Furman, down 11 in the comeback vs Campbell and down 15 on two occasions in the first half at UNC Asheville, however, it led the majority of the second half as the game was tied 38-38 at half.
- When PC scored 83 points at USC Upstate it tied the ninth most points in a single game with the 83 scored vs Truett-McConnell on 12/16/13.
- The Blue Hose set a program record for three-point percentage when they made 61.1 percent of their three-pointers (11-18) versus Upstate (11/15).
- The Blue Hose set a new record for made free throws in a game when they went 30-34 vs North Carolina Central.
- Storey set a PC Division I record vs Winthrop (1/23) when she recorded 14 assists, this is the most assists by anyone in the Big South this season. It is also tied-seventh most in a single game this season nationally.
- Storey set a PC individual record for made free throws with 17 vs NC Central, the previous record had been 11. The 17 free throws made is tied-seventh nationally in made free throw in a game this season. She also tied her personal high and school record with 27 points at USC Upstate.
- Versus Gardner-Webb (1/16), at UNC Asheville (1/27) and vs Charleston Southern (1/30) Storey came within one assist of her second career double-double as she finished with 10 points and nine assists vs GWU, 19 points and nine assists at Asheville and 12 points, nine assists vs Charleston Southern. Her first double-double was at UNCG in 2016-17 when she scored 19 points and 10 assists.
- Kacie Hall scored 23 points on 9-15 shooting and 4-7 from three vs Campbell (1/13). The nine made field goals were a career high. She followed that up with 20 points vs Gardner-Webb (1/16) on five made threes.
- Ericka Blackwell-Boyden scored a career high 15 points versus UNCG (12/21) on 70.0 percent shooting from the field.
- Miles is in the midst of the best stretch of her career as she averages 14.7 points per game over the last six. Six straight double figure games is a personal record. She surpassed the 1,000-point mark at Liberty.
- Riley Hemm in her first career start scored 12 points with five rebounds and two assists versus NC Central (12/17) all three figures are career highs.
- Virola had her best game of the season versus Winthrop as she was two rebounds shy of a double-double with 13 points and eight rebounds. This was her first double figure effort of the season. She made her first start of the season at UNC Asheville and scored eight points with four rebounds in 18 minutes.
- Freshmen have recorded 10 double figure scoring efforts this season led by Tamminen’s four and Santos’s three. Five different freshmen have contributed a game with 10+ points.
- The highest scoring individual game by a freshman is the 19 points that Santos scored vs Liberty, and is now on a two game streak of scoring 10+ vs Charleston Southern (10) and at Liberty (11). She was named Big South Freshman of the Week (1/29)
- Macee Tamminen scored a career high 18 points and three steals vs Gardner-Webb (1/16). This was her freshman leading fourth double figure scoring effort. She ranks fourth on the team scoring 5.2 points per game all off the bench, and is a two time Big South Freshman of the Week, (1/2) and (1/22).
1,000 Point Scorers
- Storey with 1,184 career points and Miles with 1,009 career points have both broken the 1,000-point mark this season. Storey achieved the feat vs NC Central on December 17 while Miles did it in the most recent contest at Liberty (2/3). They become the third and fourth members of 1,000-point club at the Division I level while also becoming members 18 and 19 all-time at PC.
Storey Setting Records
- Storey is averaging career highs in points with 14.7, assists at 6.2, field goal percentage at 45.8, free throw percentage at 84.2 and minutes per game at 38.5. Her 6.2 assists per game is 20th nationally and 38.5 minutes is sixth nationally.
- 7 points per game rank as the best in PC Division I history, 6.2 assists per game is the best in PC history, 131 assists already rank as the second best total for a single season. She also averages 2.0 steals per game which is tied-fourth best average in a season.
- All four of Storey’s assist totals will rank in the top 10 in PC Division I history. 137 in 2016-17 is currently first followed by 131 in 2017-18 ranking second and 126 in 2015-16 ranking third. The 83 she had as a freshman is still the seventh best total.
- Storey has 1,184 points which is in second place. Her 402 made field goals are the second most behind Mariah Pietrowski’s 506. She is already first with 1,013 career shot attempts.
- Storey now has 477 career assists, 147 more than Dria David who is second. Her 4.2 career assists per game average is 0.8 more than the second place Amy Jones who averaged 3.4 over the course of 26 games at the Division I level. She is now third in all-time PC history, 41 shy of Barbara Frady’s 518 which is second.
- She is second in career steals at the Division I level with 204, 19 behind David’s 223. She is now tied-seventh in all-time PC history with Barbara Frady. Storey is the first player in PC history to record 1,000 points, 400 assists and 200 steals over the course of a career.
Miles Having Career Year
- Miles is having her best season statistically in a number of categories: scoring (10.6), three-point field goal percentage (41.2), free throw percentage (79.4), rebounding (3.8), assists per game (2.5) and minutes per game (31.1).
- Miles surpassed the 1,000-point mark at Liberty on 2/3 she also has 195 career assists. Once she reaches 200 career assists she will be one of only two players in the Division I era to record 1,000 points and 200 assists along with her teammate, Storey.
- Miles currently has the fourth best three-point field goal percentage in a season at 41.2 (49-119). Her 41.2 percent three-point percentage is ranked number 44 nationally and first in the Big South.
- For her career she ranks in the top 10 of PC Division I history in a number of categories: Points (1,009) is currently fourth, points per game (8.9) is eighth, fourth in made field goals (333), second in made three-pointers (180), third in three-point percentage (36.4), fifth in made free throws (163), fourth in assists (195) and fourth in steals (126).
Storey Named Preseason All-Conference
- Senior PG Storey has been named to 2017-18 Big South Preseason All-Conference team. She was the 2014-15 Freshman of the Year, 2015-16 Big South Honorable Mention and 2016-17 Big South Second Team honoree.
- Storey is the first preseason honoree since Karlee Taylor in 2013-14.
Blue Hose Go for 10+ Again
- PC enters this season with three straight 10+ win Big South campaigns. The Blue Hose have achieved that feat four of the last five seasons overall.
- Overall they have won 10+ conference games in 13 of the last 30 seasons with nine coming as members of the South Atlantic Conference and four in the Big South.
Scouting the Eagles
- The Eagles are 2-19 overall this season and 1-9 in the Big South. They are 1-1 in their last two games as they notched their first Big South win over Longwood by a 69-60 score in overtime on January 30.
- Winthrop scores 50.7 points per game while allowing 74.0 points per game. It shoots 33.5 percent from the field and 29.1 percent from three. The Eagles allows their opposition to shoot 42.9 percent and 32.1 percent from three.
- Courtney Hagaman leads Winthrop in scoring at 9.8 points per game to go along with 2.9 rebounds and 1.0 steals per contest.
- Ronata Rogers at 6.8 and Anika Riley at 5.8 are the leading rebounders for Winthrop.
- Riley also leads the way in assists at 1.7 per game.
- Winthrop is led by head coach Lynette Woodard.
Blue Hose vs the Eagles
- PC and Winthrop have met on the court 28 times with Winthrop leading the series 20-8 all-time. The Blue Hose have currently won five in a row.
- In the first meeting this season PC outscored Winthrop 65-30 over the final three periods after the Eagles led 15-13 following one quarter.
- Hall, Miles and Virola were the leading scorers in the game with 16, 15 and 13 respectively while Storey set a career high with 14 assists and also a season high six steals.