Clinton, S.C. – The Presbyterian College baseball team used the power of four home runs to score a season-high 15 runs en route to a 15-7 victory over Davidson Tuesday at the PC Baseball Complex.
Final Score: Presbyterian 15, Davidson 7
Location: Clinton, S.C. (PC Baseball Complex)
Records: Presbyterian (20-21) | Davidson (19-17)
WP: Matt Norton (1-0) | LP: Jaret LaCagnina (1-2)
- Johnny Cook and Zacchaeus Rasberry both paced the offense with three hits on Tuesday, including each hitting home runs and driving in season high four runs.
- Matt Burke added a pair of hits and his first career RBI to the Blue Hose offense. Burke also picked up a pair of stolen bases in the win.
- Ashby Smith picked up his third home run of the season in the second inning.
- Jeremiah Boyd earned his first career home run in the second.
- It was the first time since 4/27/18 at Radford that a Blue Hose team hit four home runs in a game.
- It was the first time at home since 4/11/09 against Winthrop that PC had four home runs in a game.
- As a team, PC matched its season-high picking up four stolen bases in the contest. Nick Guimbarda and Rasberry swiped one apiece while Burke added a pair.
- PC improved to 14-6 when scoring first with today’s victory. The Blue Hose are also 13-5 when hitting at least one home run in a game.
- Presbyterian improved to 14-5 on its home field with the win this afternoon needing just three more wins at home to match the D1 record for wins at home in a season.
- PC earned its 20th win of the season on Tuesday marking the seventh time in the last nine years under coach Elton Pollock that the Blue Hose have reached the mark.
- In the season series against the Wildcats, Rasberry hit .615 (8-for-13) with two triples and a home run. He also knocked in five runs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- PC jumped on the Wildcats early with a three run first highlighted by an RBI single by Guimbarda and a sacrifice fly from Cook to get the bats going.
- In the second, Boyd picked up his first career home run to lead off the second inning.
- Burke continued the scoring with an RBI single for his first career RBI and a 5-0 lead.
- Rasberry kept the offense going with an RBI triple to make it 6-0.
- Smith capped off the six run frame with a three-run home run to make it 9-0 Blue Hose after two.
- Davidson put together a four run fourth to cut the deficit to 5, 9-4, however Presbyterian answered with a two-run home run from Johnny Cook to push the lead to 11-4.
- The guests answered with two runs in the fifth and one in the eighth that made it 11-7 going to the home half of the eighth.
- Rasberry kept the offense going with a three-run home run of his own down the left field line that made it 14-7.
- Cook finished the PC offense off with a two-out RBI double to give the Blue Hose a 15-7 victory.
- The Blue Hose take a step out of Big South play as they travel to Pittsburgh for a three-game series beginning on Friday at 6 p.m. from Charles L. Cost Field in Pittsburgh. The two teams play a doubleheader Saturday beginning at 1 p.m.