CLINTON, S.C. – The Presbyterian College baseball team continues conference play as High Point visits Clinton to open a three-game series with the Blue Hose at 3 p.m. on Thursday afternoon at the PC Baseball Complex.
WHAT: Presbyterian (18-19, 10-5 Big South) at High Point (15-18, 8-7 Big South)
WHERE: Clinton, S.C. (PC Baseball Complex)
WHEN: Thursday April 18 (3:00 p.m.) | Friday April 19 (3:00 p.m.) | Saturday April 20 (1:00 p.m.)
THE SERIES (Since 2008): HPU leads 15-9
ON THE MOUND
PC – RHP Eric Miles (5-2, 3.91 ERA, 51 K)
HPU – RHP Grey Lyttle (3-1, 3.44 ERA, 34 K)
PC – LHP Clark Dearman (1-2, 5.53 ERA, 22 K)
HPU – RHP Harrison Smith (1-4, 2.74 ERA, 48 K)
PC – TBA
HPU – RHP Joe Johnson (3-3, 5.85 ERA, 23 K)
About the Blue Hose
• The Presbyterian College baseball team rally was cut short by the host Davidson as the Wildcats earned a 10-8 win on Tuesday night at Wilson Field.
• - Zacchaeus Rasberry and Ashby Smith led the Blue Hose with three hits apiece. Garrett Jones added two hits to the PC offense. Rasberry picked up his 13th multi-hit game of the season just one off the season-high mark set by Jimmy Marcelli at 14 games.
• Johnny Cook made his first career start on the mound for PC on Tuesday night.
• The Blue Hose carry a 12-3 home record into this weekend series needing just two more wins to match the home win total from 2011 of 14 which ranks second in the PC D1 era. The single season D1 record for home wins is 17 set back in 2016.
• Over the last five games, Zacchaeus Rasberry leads the Blue Hose with a .368 average as he has one home run and five RBIs. Jimmy Marcelli leads the team in that stretch with seven runs driven in.
• Nick Guimbarda carries a season-high 14 game reached base streak into this weekend's series with High Point. Ashby Smith also carries a 10 game reached base streak into the weekend.
• Jimmy Marcelli has a team-high eight game hit streak entering play on Thursday.
• High Point leads the all-time series dating back to 2008 by a count of 15-9 including winning the last five meetings from the Blue Hose.
• Jonathan White paced the offense in the series in 2018 with a 5-for-10 stat line while Nick Guimbarda hit .417 (5-for-12) in the series with the Panthers.
• On the mound, Eric Miles tossed 5.1 innings allowing two hits and an unearned run while striking out four in a no decision.
Scouting High Point
• High Point enters the weekend with a 15-18 record following a weekend sweep of Longwood last time out.
• As a team, High Point is hitting .258 which sits fifth in the Big South and have a team ERA of 4.88 which ranks fourth in the league. The Panthers have walked the second fewest opposing batters in the league allowing only 128 free passes on the season.
• Daniel Millwee leads the offense with a .328 average including a team-high seven home runs and 27 runs driven in. Millwee has also swiped a team-high 10 bases on the season.
• Jacob Winger paces the High Point bullpen with a 2-1 record and a 0.98 ERA over 11 appearances. He has recorded three saves and has 18 strikeouts and just three walks during the 2019 season.
• Harrison Smith sits with a 2.74 ERA thru nine games that he has seen action with eight of those being starts for High Point. Smith is 1-4 with 48 strikeouts in 42.2 innings pitched.
• In Big South games, PC has both Reagan Fowler and Eric Miles in the top ten in earned run average with Fowler at 2.63 which sits sixth in the league and Miles is at 2.80 which ranks eighth.
• Miles is also tied for second in conference play with four victories and also sits in second with 36 strikeouts.
• In conference games, Jimmy Marcelli sits in a tie for third with 17 RBIs. Marcelli is tied for seventh with 32 runs driven in on the year.
• Jonathan White has a .444 on base percentage for the year which puts his sixth in the conference.
• Ashby Smith is tied for 10th in the Big South with eight doubles as he has three of them in his last five games.
• Head Coach Elton Pollock earned his 300th career win on Saturday with a 6-2 victory over UNC Asheville.
• With his next double, Nick Guimbarda moves into sole possession of seventh in the program’s D1 record book with 38 career doubles. 10 more doubles would catapult the senior into sole possession of second place.
• Colton Springs with his next save would move into solo fourth in the program’s D1 record book with his seventh career save. Springs with his next save also takes sole possession of eighth in the Blue Hose career record book.
• Nick Guimbarda needs one more home run to move into fifth place in the program’s D1 record book for career home runs. Guimbarda has 15 homers after his home run in Friday’s series opener against UNC Asheville.
• With his next sacrifice fly, Nick Guimbarda would take the PC D1 record for most sac flies in a career as a Blue Hose with 12.
• The Blue Hose host Davidson on Tuesday afternoon with first pitch set for 3 p.m. with the Wildcats. It is the third meeting of the year between the two teams as Davidson picked up a pair of wins on its home field earlier this season.