Davidson, N.C. – The Presbyterian College baseball team rally was cut short by the host Davidson as the Wildcats earned a 10-8 win on Tuesday night at Wilson Field.
Final Score: Davidson 10, Presbyterian 8
Location: Davidson, N.C. (Wilson Field)
Records: Presbyterian (18-19) | Davidson (17-15)
WP: Jaret LaCagnina (1-1) | LP: Johnny Cook (2-2)
- Zacchaeus Rasberry and Ashby Smith led the Blue Hose with three hits apiece. Garrett Jones added two hits to the PC offense.
- Rasberry picked up his 13th multi-hit game of the season just one off the season-high mark set by Jimmy Marcelli at 14 games.
- Marcelli extended his team-high hit streak to eight games in a row with a ninth inning RBI double.
- Nick Guimbarda extended his on base streak to 14 games in a row with his walk in the ninth.
- Luke Matthews made his second career appearance on the mound and was able to record his first career strikeout in the eighth inning.
- Andrew Livingston picked up a pinch-hit RBI double in the seventh as a part of the three run inning for Presbyterian.
- Johnny Cook made his first career start on the mound for PC on Tuesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Davidson plated two runs in the opening inning with a leadoff home run and added a run on an RBI groundout to take a 2-0 lead to the second inning.
- The hosts added a run in the second with a two-out RBI single to take a 3-0 lead.
- Davidson picked up a run on a RBI single in the third to make it 4-0.
- The Blue Hose picked up a pair of runs on a Guimbarda sacrifice fly before a Wildcat wild pitch allowed Rasberry to scamper home and make it 4-2 after 4.5 innings.
- Davidson plated five runs in the frame highlighted by a two-run triple that pushed the hosts lead out 9-2 thru six innings.
- In the seventh, Presbyterian used a Livingston RBI double and a Rasberry RBI triple to make it 9-4. An RBI groundout from Marcelli cut the lead to four, 9-5.
- Davidson added a run in the eighth with a sacrifice fly to increase its lead to 10-5 after eight innings.
- The Blue Hose started the scoring in the ninth with an RBI double off the bat of Marcelli that made it 10-6 before PC added a run on a Wildcat wild pitch to make it 10-7.
- Presbyterian cut the deficit to two with an RBI single from Smith for the 10-8 final score.
- The Blue Hose return home for Big South play on Thursday afternoon as they will match up against High Point in a three-game weekend set beginning at 3 p.m. at the PC Baseball Complex.