Clinton, S.C. – The Presbyterian College baseball team rallied from a 5-0 deficit scoring six runs over the final three innings which was capped off by an RBI single from Andrew Livingston to defeat Gardner-Webb 6-5 in Big South action on Friday afternoon.
Final Score: Presbyterian 6, Gardner-Webb 5
Location: Clinton, S.C. (PC Baseball Complex)
Records: Presbyterian (9-13, 3-1 Big South) vs Gardner-Webb (9-9, 1-3 Big South)
WP: Eric Miles (3-1) | LP: Jarrett Thompson (0-1)
- Eric Miles tossed the first Blue Hose complete game since Hayden Deal did it against Winthrop 4/9/17. Miles struck out a career-high 10 and allowed four earned runs and no walks in route to his third win of the season.
- Nick Guimbarda paced the offense with a season-high three hits as Ashby Smith and Jonathan White each chipped in with a pair of hits apiece including a double from White.
- It’s the second time this season that Presbyterian has walked off their opponents as they scored twice in the bottom of the ninth against Brown on 3/2 to win 5-4.
- Freshman Ashby Smith made his first career start at first base on Friday afternoon for the Blue Hose
- With his victory, Eric Miles moves into second place with 16 career wins in the Blue Hose D1 record book.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Gardner-Webb got on the board in the opening frame as it took advantage of a Blue Hose error with an RBI double followed up by an RBI single to take the early 2-0 lead.
- The Bulldogs added three more runs in the third on a three-run home run that extended their lead to 5-0.
- PC was unable to get any runs across thru the opening six frames as Isaac Campbell for Gardner-Webb racked up 10 strikeouts in that stretch before PC got to GWU in the seventh.
- In the seventh, Garrett Jones got it started with a single down the left field line after a sacrifice bunt from Luke Matthews, Zacchaeus Rasberry lined a single back up the middle allowing Jones to get PC on the board.
- After a White double down the left field line put runners on second and third, Guimbarda lined a single in the hole by shortstop allowing Rasberry to come home and make it 5-2.
- GWU went to the bullpen and Jimmy Marcelli doubled off the left field wall to score White and cut the lead to 5-3 thru seven innings.
- Miles kept the Bulldogs bats quiet allowing just one more baserunner over the next two innings to set the stage for the bottom of the ninth.
- White reached on a GWU error and move around to third on a single by Guimbarda. Marcelli hit one back to the pitcher and he tried to get the runner out at second but sailed it into centerfield and allowed White to score and make it 5-4.
- Smith reached base on a fielding error by the Bulldog third baseman to load the bases. Gardner-Webb got its first out of the inning on a fielder’s choice to leave the bases loaded for pinch hitter Jeremiah Boyd.
- Boyd lined a single over the third baseman’s head to tie the game at five before Andrew Livingston lined a single to deep centerfield to complete the comeback and give PC a 6-5 victory.
- The Blue Hose and Bulldogs continue their three-game series on Saturday with first pitch set for 2 p.m. at the PC Baseball Complex.