Charleston, S.C. – The Presbyterian College baseball team used the power of four home runs to set the single season Big South record for most wins in a season with 16 as the Blue Hose earned a 15-6 victory on Saturday afternoon at CSU Ballpark.
Final Score: Presbyterian 15, Charleston Southern 6
Location: Charleston, S.C. (CSU Ballpark)
Records: Presbyterian (29-27, 16-11 Big South) | Charleston Southern (21-34, 11-16 Big South)
WP: Grayson Stoneking (2-4) | LP: Tyler Weekley (1-6)
- Zacchaeus Rasberry, Jimmy Marcelli, Jonathan White and Garrett Jones led the offensive charge for Presbyterian on Saturday as the group had two hits apiece. White had a pair of home runs, while Marcelli added one.
- White with his two home runs became the first Blue Hose player since Nick Wise did it on 4/7/18 against UNC Asheville to hit two long balls in a game.
- Matt Burke added his first career home run of the season in the sixth inning.
- Rasberry concluded the 2019 regular season with his 23rd multi-hit game, Marcelli added his 22nd multiple hit contest.
- White finished the regular season with 18 multiple hit games and Jones has five multiple hit games.
- Marcelli picked up his second 4+ RBI game of the season which included his
- The Blue Hose hit four home runs in a game for the second time this season matching the Blue Hose D1 single game record.
- With his stolen base in the third inning, Zacchaeus Rasberry became the first Blue Hose in the D1 era to record 20 stolen bases in a season.
- Rasberry for the second time this season recorded three stolen bases in a game to match the single game D1 record for steals in a game.
- PC wrapped up the sixth inning with a triple play to get out of a bases loaded jam. Only 14 triple plays had been turned thru play on Thursday in Division one baseball.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- CSU got on the board in the first inning with a two-run home run to take the early 2-0 lead.
- White got the Blue Hose on the board in the second with a two-run home run of his own to tie the game up at two apiece.
- PC regained the lead in the second with an RBI double from Jones before a two-run single from Marcelli gave the Blue Hose a 5-2 lead.
- A double steal and throwing error by the Bucs allowed a sixth run to come in and score to give PC a 6-2 lead.
- Charleston Southern picked up a solo home run in its half of the second to make it 6-3 Blue Hose.
- Jones added an RBI single in the third to push the lead out to 7-3.
- White added a solo home run to begin the fifth inning to make it 8-3 PC.
- CSU picked up an RBI double in its half of the fifth to cut the lead to four, 8-4.
- Burke led off the sixth with a solo home run to give the Blue Hose a 9-4 advantage.
- Marcelli added a two-run home run in the eighth to push the lead out to 11-4.
- CSU added a run on a two-run home run in its half of the eight to make it 11-6.
- Jones drew a bases loaded walk and a fielding error by the Bucs allowed the bases to clear and give PC a 15-6 lead they wouldn’t relinquish.
- The Blue Hose now move onto the 2019 Big South tournament which will begin for PC on Wednesday afternoon against a to be determined opponent