Clinton, S.C. – The Presbyterian College baseball team used the power of a nine-run fifth inning to close out the home 2019 schedule with an 11-7 victory over Georgia State on senior day at the PC Baseball Complex Tuesday afternoon.
Final Score: Presbyterian 11, Georgia State 7
Location: Clinton, S.C. (PC Baseball Complex)
Records: Presbyterian (27-26) | Georgia State (14-39)
WP: Austin Paradis (3-1) | LP: Brendon Case (0-2)
- Prior to first pitch this afternoon the Blue Hose honored their six seniors. Pitchers Chase Blueberg, Jackson Dean and Colton Springs as well as catcher Michael Varga, infielder Jonathan White and outfielder Nick Guimbarda were recognized.
- Zacchaeus Rasberry led the Blue Hose with three hits including a double and his 18th stolen base of the year. Jonathan White and Andrew Livingston each added a pair of hits as White drove in three runs. Garrett Jones added a pair of RBIs for the Blue Hose.
- Rasberry picked up his 21st multi-hit game of the season, while White had his 16th and Livingston had his third.
- White has hits in seven straight games and has reached base safely in 10 consecutive games as both marks currently pace the Blue Hose after Tuesday’s win.
- Austin Paradis made his second start of the season tossing 3.0 scoreless innings as he struck out two Panthers. He has thrown three consecutive appearances of 3.0 innings which matches his season-high for innings pitched.
- Colton Springs closed out the game throwing 2.0 innings and striking out four which is just one off of a season-high for the senior.
- PC picked up its 20th win of the season when scoring first on Tuesday.
- Presbyterian improved to 16-7 at home this season with the win and sit second in the D1 era for most home wins in a season.
- The Blue Hose nine runs in the fifth marks the sixth time this season that PC has had at least five runs in an inning. They are 5-1 when that occurs in a game this season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Presbyterian got on the board in the second with an RBI groundout from Jones before a Georgia State passed ball allowed Varga to score and give PC the 2-0 advantage.
- Georgia State got on the board in the fourth with a ground-rule double to cut the lead to 2-1.
- In the fifth, following a double from Livingston and a bunt single from Rasberry, White doubled to left center to score both and push the lead to 4-1. PC added a run off of a fielder’s choice from Jimmy Marcelli before an RBI single from Jeremiah Boyd pushed the lead to 6-1.
- With the bases loaded and one out, Jones and Rasberry drew bases loaded walks around a hit by pitch from Livingston and the Blue Hose had a 9-1 lead.
- PC capped off the nine run fifth with an RBI single from White and a fielder’s choice off the bat of Guimbarda to give Presbyterian an 11-1 lead thru 4.5 innings.
- Georgia State answered with five in the sixth and added one more in the ninth as Springs was able to close it out and send the seniors off with the 11-7 victory.
- The Blue Hose hit the road for their final Big South series of the season as they travel to Charleston Southern for a three-game series against the Buccaneers beginning Thursday night at 6 p.m.