Clinton, S.C. – The Presbyterian College women’s tennis team earned their first Big South victory of the season on Saturday in a delay-shortened match against Hampton. The Blue Hose earned a 4-0 victory. PC’s match at Kennesaw State, originally scheduled for Sunday afternoon, has been postponed with no current make-up date.
The Blue Hose started quickly against the Pirates, earning the doubles point by winning the number one and three matches. The pairings of Sydney Patton and Jessica Leeman (6-2) and Beth Taylor and Katie Thompson (6-1) picked up the pair of wins.
In singles play, only three matches were finished. Samantha Calais earned a 6-1, 6-2 victory on the second court and Ella Rowley recorded a 6-0, 6-1 win on court number six. Taylor tallied her second win of the day by sweeping her opponent 6-0, 6-0 in the third slot.
“The team held their composure with the four-hour delay due to rain,” said head coach Steve Brooks. “They fought hard today battling the wind and the elements, and everyone except Sydney had to play a spot higher in singles. I just wish they could have finished all their matches, but I’m glad we got it in.”
Full results of the match can be found below:
1. PATTON, Sydney (PC) vs. KAPITANOVA, Yulia (HAM-W) 6-1, 3-2, unfinished
2. CALAIS, Samantha (PC) def. SLOCOMBE, Cherise (HAM-W) 6-1, 6-2
3. TAYLOR, Beth (PC) def. LJUNGMAN, Viktoria (HAM-W) 6-0, 6-0
4. LEEMAN, Jessica (PC) vs. MULLINS, Haley (HAM-W) 6-4, 4-2, unfinished
5. THOMPSON, Katie (PC) vs. D'AUVERGNE, Julia (HAM-W) 6-0, 4-1, unfinished
6. ROWLEY, Ella (PC) def. WALKER, Caira (HAM-W) 6-0, 6-1
1. PATTON, Sydney/LEEMAN, Jessica (PC) def. KAPITANOVA, Yulia/LJUNGMAN, Viktoria (HAM-W) 6-2
2. JOHNSON, Tracy/CALAIS, Samantha (PC) vs. TURNER, Kiah/SLOCOMBE, Cherise (HAM-W) 4-3, unfinished
3. TAYLOR, Beth/THOMPSON, Katie (PC) def. MULLINS, Haley/D'AUVERGNE, Julia (HAM-W) 6-1
The Blue Hose will be back in action next weekend. PC will travel to Columbia to face South Carolina on Saturday morning and then will host Wofford on Sunday afternoon in non-conference action.