Radford, Va. – The Presbyterian College men’s tennis team was defeated by Radford on Thursday afternoon in the Big South Quarterfinals, 4-1. The Blue Hose finish the 2018-19 season with a 13-14 record.
“First off, big congrats to Radford today,” said head coach Patrick Fediuk. “It’s pretty simple: they outplayed us for large stretches of the match, and that’s a huge credit to them.”
The Blue Hose began the match by dropping the doubles point to Radford with loses on courts two and three. Max Benson and Jaime Castillo-Lopez, as well as Alberto Conde and Vance Mercer, fell 4-6 to their opponents. Oscar Alvarez and Daniel Stenger did not finish their match on court one.
In singles action, the Highlanders jumped out to a 3-0 advantage with straight set wins on courts four and six. Stenger brought the score to 3-1 with a straight-set victory of his own on court one, playing an extra game in the second set. Shortly afterward, Alvarez was defeated on court three and Radford clinched the match. Benson was in the third set of his match on court two after rallying to win the second. Conde won a tiebreaker 7-1 in his first set and was knotted up at three in the second when the match ended.
“I can’t say enough about how our guys dug deep when it was looking very bleak out there,” continued Fediuk. “We were down 3-0 and guys hung around and gave themselves an opportunity. It makes be proud to be their coach and Blue Hose nation should be proud of them, too!”
Full results of the match can be found below:
1. STENGER, Daniel (PC) def. Yevhen Sirous (RADM) 6-3, 7-5
2. BENSON, Max (PC) vs. Rodrigo Magalhaes (RADM) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0, unfinished
3. Alexandros Caldwell (RADM) def. ALVAREZ, Oscar (PC) 6-3, 7-5
4. Michiel Meekers (RADM) def. CASTILLO-LOPEZ, J. (PC) 6-1, 6-3
5. CONDE, Alberto (PC) vs. PO Lassalle (RADM) 7-6 (7-1), 3-3, unfinished
6. Andres Silva (RADM) def. BEDARD, Jonathan (PC) 6-2, 6-1
1. ALVAREZ, Oscar/STENGER, Daniel (PC) vs. Rodrigo Magalhaes/Yevhen Sirous (RADM) 3-5, unfinished
2. Alexandros Caldwell/Michiel Meekers (RADM) def. BENSON, Max/CASTILLO-LOPEZ, J. (PC) 6-4
3. Andres Silva/Matko Varga (RADM) def. CONDE, Alberto/MERCER, Vance (PC) 6-4
“It stinks to lose,” concluded Fediuk, “especially in the conference tournament. But, the team will be back stronger and better than ever. There’s no other option and I don’t expect anything less from this great group. Go Blue Hose!”