Clinton, S.C. – The Presbyterian College men’s tennis team earned a 4-3 victory over Winthrop on Thursday afternoon in their regular season finale. PC ends the 2018-19 season with a 13-13 record, 5-3 against Big South opponents.
The Blue Hose needed four singles victories to take the match from the Eagles. PC jumped to a 2-1 lead with quick straight-set wins from Jonathan Bedard and Jaime Castillo-Lopez. Max Benson rallied from being down 4-1 in the first set of his match on court two and won 7-5. His momentum would continue into the second set and he would complete the straight set victory for PC’s third point. After dropping matches on courts one and five, the focus moved to Alvarez on court three. The freshman battled for a 7-5 first set win and then clinched the match for PC with an efficient 6-2 set two victory.
Full results of the match can be found below:
1. QUIROZ, Diego (WIN) def. STENGER, Daniel (PC) 7-6, 6-3
2. BENSON, Max (PC) def. WILLIAMSON, Connor (WIN) 7-5, 6-2
3. ALVAREZ, Oscar (PC) def. DIAS, Gabriel (WIN) 7-5, 6-2
4. CASTILLO-LOPEZ, J. (PC) def. GOKHALE, Aditya (WIN) 6-2, 6-4
5. PAPPAYIANNIAS, L. (WIN) def. CONDE, Alberto (PC) 6-2, 6-3
6. BEDARD, Jonathan (PC) def. TINAGLI, Alberto (WIN) 6-2, 6-4
1. STENGER, Daniel/ALVAREZ, Oscar (PC) def. WILLIAMSON, Connor/PAPPAYIANNIAS, L. (WIN) 6-3
2. DIAS, Gabriel/GOKHALE, Aditya (WIN) def. CASTILLO-LOPEZ, J./BENSON, Max (PC) 6-2
3. QUIROZ, Diego/MIRALLES, Lluis (WIN) def. CONDE, Alberto/MERCER, Vance (PC) 6-4
The Blue Hose will return to action next week in the Big South Tournament. The tournament will take place at Radford beginning next Wednesday, April 17.