Clinton, S.C. – Thursday night the Presbyterian College Blue Hose will be playing the UNC Wilmington Seahawks in their first Division I NCAA Soccer Tournament. It is their second NCAA Tournament trip as they played USC Spartanburg, now USC Upstate, in the 1995 Division II NCAA Tournament.
Who: Presbyterian College Blue Hose (6-8-5) at UNC Wilmington Seahawks (11-7-0)
When: Thursday, November 16 – 7:00 p.m.
Where: UNCW Soccer Stadium – Wilmington, N.C.
Watch: Seahawks Digital Network
Live Stats: NCAA.com
Social Media: @BlueHoseSoccer
- On Sunday the Blue Hose won their fifth conference tournament championship, first at the Division I level. They were the South Atlantic Champions at the Division II level in 1991, 1993, 1995 and 1996.
- They made one NCAA appearance in 1995 following their South Atlantic Conference title. The Blue Hose then faced USC Spartanburg, now USC Upstate, in the NCAA Division II Tournament falling 2-0.
Blue Hose in the Post Season
- The Blue Hose are making their first trip to the Division I NCAA Tournament and second overall. They went to the 1995 Division II NCAA Tournament.
- At the Division I level PC has a 2-1-3 all-time record in post season play, all in three Big South Tournament trips. In 2012 PC was defeated by Coastal Carolina. PC would defeat Liberty in 2016 before falling in Penalty Kicks to Radford. In 2017 the Blue Hose would get their redemption versus Radford moving past them in Penalty Kicks in the Semi’s as well as High Point in the Finals to advance to the NCAA’s.
- This will be the Blue Hose’s first game versus UNC Wilmington in the NCAA Tournament and second game ever versus the Seahawks.
Hernandez Named Tournament MVP
- Ricardo Hernandez was named the Big South Tournament MVP. Sergio Pinto, Adrian Edo Martin and Connor Behrend were also named to the All-Tournament Team.
Pinto, Hernandez and Three Freshman Honored by Big South
- Sophomore midfielder Pinto was named to the Big South Second Team on Friday, November 3. He finished his sophomore regular season with three goals and three assists. Two of his three goals were game-winners and the other resulted in the Blue Hose’s tie with Radford.
- Sophomore midfielder Hernandez was named Big South All-Academic while Vannier, Edo Martin and Victor Menudier were named to the All-Freshman team.
Behrend in the Books
- Behrend has been the most successful goalkeeper in PC’s Division I era posting a .781 save percentage which ranks third in Big South history.
- He also holds PC records for career shutouts (10), single season shutouts (6), goalkeeper minutes played (3954), and wins (13). He is second in career saves with 196 putting him four away from 200.
Vannier Setting Freshmen Records
- True freshman Clement Vannier leads the Blue Hose with five goals and two assists for 12 points.
- Both the five goals and 12 points are records for goals and points by a freshman in PC’s Division I era. He is also the leading freshmen scorer in the Big South in goals (5) and points (12).
- The freshmen make up the largest class for the team this season, with 16 on the roster.
- There are 15 freshmen and one redshirt freshman on the roster. Seven play defense, two play midfield, six play forward and one plays goalie.
- Eight of the fourteen players who have recorded a goal this season have been freshmen. Led by Vannier with five goals and two assists for 12 points.
- The freshmen have combined to score 15 of the 23 goals and record 11 of the 19 assists this season.
Blue Hose Re-Writing the Record Book
- The Blue Hose have scored 23 goals and tallied 19 assists this season, both are single season team records at the Division I level.
- The Blue Hose have had four Big South Player of the Week honorees over the last two seasons, they had one all-time prior to 2016. Behrend has been the recipient of three of the four honors over the last two seasons. Vannier has the other with a Freshman of the Week honor.
- PC has made marked improvement on the road this season after finishing 2-7-2 on the road in 2016 it is 4-3-4 in 2017.
Draws in a Single Season
- With the Blue Hose 0-0 tie on Sunday afternoon they have now set a new single season record for ties in a season with five. They are 6-8-5 overall now this season. If the Blue Hose and Seahawks go into overtime it will tie the PC record for overtime games in a season at seven.
Scouting the Seahawks
- UNC Wilmington comes into this NCAA Tournament game with an 11-7-0 record overall, they finished 5-3 in the Colonial Athletic Conference.
- They score 1.56 goals per game on a .140 shooting percentage while holding the opposition to 1.21 goals per game and a .150 shooting percentage. They have taken 78 corner kicks this season while limiting the opposition to 70.
- Phillip Goodrum leads the Seahawks with seven goals and four assists for 18 points this season. Emil Elveroth and Julio Moncada each have five goals and two assists for 12 points.
- Ryan Cretens has played all 1656:41 minutes in goal this season posting a 1.14 goals against average with a .650 save percentage and six shutouts.
- The Seahawks are led by 17 year veteran Aidan Heaney who has posted a 151-138-33 record at UNC Wilmington. With two prior seasons at Appalachian State he has a 172-152-33 career record in 19 seasons overall.
- The Blue Hose and Seahawks have played one time. A PC victory in 2013 by a 2-1 score over the No. 24 Seahawks.