CLINTON, S.C. – The fifth-seeded Presbyterian College men’s soccer team travels to top-seeded Radford on Wednesday night at 7 p.m. in the semifinal round of the Big South Championship. The match will be streamed on the Big South Network.
Who: No. 5 Presbyterian (7-10-2, 4-4-0 Big South) at No. 1 Radford (13-3-1, 7-1 Big South)
When: Wednesday, November 9 – 7 p.m.
Where: Cupp Stadium – Radford, Va.
Live Video: Big South Network
Live Stats: RUHighlanders.com
Social Media – @bluehosesoccer (Twitter/Instagram) | @BlueHoseSports (Twitter/Instagram)
• PC advanced to the semifinals in the Big South Championship for the first time in program history. The Blue Hose defeated Liberty, 2-1, on Sunday afternoon for its first ever victory in the Big South Championship.
• Bruce Olivier scored his first goal of the season on Sunday against Liberty, finding the net for the game-winner in the 80th minute. Sergio Pinto accounted for the other goal in the victory, his fourth of the season.
• PC and Radford met during the regular season back on October 8 with the Highlanders claiming a 1-0 overtime victory in Radford, Va.
• PC finished the season with a 7-10-1 record and a 4-4-0 mark in the Big South. The seven victories are its most since 2006, PC’s final season in Division II, when it managed eight victories.
• PC had three players earned All-Conference honors last week, as Mason Lewis and Cade Crow were each named to the second team, while Connor Behrend earned an honorable mention honor and a spot on the All-Academic team. The three were the first players in program history to be named All-Big South in any capacity. Sergio Pinto claimed a place on the All-Freshman squad, the first such honor for PC since 2012.
Scouting the Highlanders
• Radford enters the match with a 13-3-1 record, while finishing the regular season with a 7-1 mark in conference play to claim the Big South Regular Season Title.
• The Highlanders have totaled nine shutouts on the season, just one shy of the program’s single-season record of 10, set in 1991.
• Jakob Strandsäter leads the team with five goals on the year, along with six assists for 16 points, tied for sixth in the conference. Evan Szklennik is second with 11 points on three goals and five assists.
• Aitor Pouseu Blanco shares the Big South all-time record with 24 career shutouts. The goalie is 13-2-1 on the season with 50 saves and just nine goals allowed.
Radford leads 7-2
The Highlanders have won the last five meetings in the series, outscoring PC 15-4 during that stretch. The last PC victory in the series came in 2011 with 2-1 win at home as one of three Big South victories that season. The Blue Hose also took down Radford, 1-0, in 2009 in Clinton, S.C.