Clinton, S.C. – The Presbyterian College Blue Hose (3-5-2, 1-1-1 Big South) men’s soccer team played the Radford Highlanders (6-2-2, 2-0-1 Big South) to a 1-1 draw on Wednesday night at Martin Stadium. Connor Behrend finished with nine saves and the Blue Hose survived a late surge in the second overtime period to finish with the tie.
How it happened:
The Blue Hose and Highlanders played a defensive slugfest in the first before Sergio Pinto finished off a great pass by Ricardo Hernandez at the 42:31 mark of the match. Radford had a couple of opportunities in the first half but the Blue Hose defense was able to foil the chances.
Radford tied the match at the 52:38 mark in the second half. The defense kicked the ball straight up in front of the PC goal, Behrend went up to make the save but Radford’s Sivert Daehlie got his head on the ball and slipped it past the PC and into the net.
The rest of the game Radford was on the attack for the majority of the time but Behrend’s stellar performance as well as the rest of the back line defenders were able to keep the Highlanders from scoring.
Radford had an excellent opportunity to score the winning goal in the final 10 seconds after a PC foul followed by a double yellow card, one issued to each team, resulted in a Highlander shot on goal that was saved by Behrend. That was the final attempt for anyone as the clock wound down on a 1-1 draw between the two teams.
“I am very proud of the team to come back after a tough defeat and improve our mentality and play well,” said coach Jonathan Potter. “We earned a tough point against a really good Radford team, Radford is an excellent team. Now we have to work hard to prepare for our road trip to Longwood this weekend.”
Player of Game:
Pinto, Hernandez and Behrend are all deserving of this honor in this game as PC doesn’t score without the beautiful runout that led to Pinto’s goal. Hernandez coming down the middle made an excellent pass to his left where Pinto gathered it and kicked it back across to the far third of the goal.
Behrend had one of his best games of the season saves wise as he finished the day with nine while only allowing one goal in 110 minutes.
- The Blue Hose took a point in conference play from the top placed Radford Highlanders, the Blue Hose are now 1-1-1 in Big South play.
- PC finished with 10 saves as a team, nine by Behrend. Six of those saves came in the second half alone.
- Pinto finished the game with three shots, two of which were on goal including the goal scored. The goal was his third of the season and seventh of his career.
- Pinto now leads the team in points with seven (three goals and one assist).
- There were six yellow cards issued in the contest, three on each team, and all came in the final 17 minutes of regulation plus the two overtime periods.
The Blue Hose travel to Farmville, Va. on Saturday for a 3 p.m. showdown with the Longwood Lancers. PC and Longwood have faced each other seven times with Longwood leading the series 4-3-0.