CLINTON, S.C. – The Presbyterian College football team takes the short drive to Gardner-Webb on Saturday afternoon to battle the Runnin’ Bulldogs with a 1:30 p.m. kickoff. The game will be on ESPN+ live from Spangler Stadium.
WHAT: Presbyterian (2-5, 0-3 Big South) vs Gardner-Webb (2-6, 1-1 Big South)
WHERE: Boiling Springs, N.C. (Spangler Stadium)
WHEN: Saturday, November 3 (1:30 p.m.)
THE SERIES: Gardner-Webb leads 21-19
SERIES HISTORY: The Blue Hose and Runnin’ Bulldogs have battled throughout the all-time series with the two teams splitting their last four. PC took down GWU 31-21 last season on senior day for the Blue Hose.
FOLLOW THE ACTION
WATCH: ESPN+ (Fabian Fuentes, Brendan Boylan)
LISTEN: Fox Sports 1400 AM/98.3 FM & WPCC 1410 AM/96.5 FM (Ryan Clary, Tyler Shugart)
LIVE STATS: StatBroadcast
SOCIAL MEDIA: @BlueHoseFtball (Twitter/Instagram) | @BlueHoseSports
GAME NOTES: Presbyterian Notes | Gardner-Webb Notes | Big South Notes
Last Time Out for The Blue Hose
• Presbyterian was unable to take down Monmouth on homecoming Saturday afternoon falling 24-14 inside Bailey Memorial Stadium.
• Freshman Jarrett Nagy paced the defense with 12 tackles which included seven solo tackles. This is the fourth time this season that Nagy has led or tied for the team lead in tackles.
• Dirk Cureton recorded a 41-yard fumble return for a touchdown early in the third quarter that gave PC a 7-3 lead. It was the first fumble return for a touchdown since Rock Ya-Sin returned a 61 yard fumble for a score against South Alabama in 2016.
• Wide Receivers Keith Pearson and DaShawn Davis led the group with Pearson picking up nine catches for 81 yards, while Davis had eight receptions for 73 yards.
PC Travels to Gardner-Webb
• The Blue Hose make the short trek to Boiling Springs, N.C. on Saturday to face Gardner-Webb with a 1:30 p.m. kickoff set for the contest.
• The Blue Hose and Runnin’ Bulldogs meet on Saturday for the 41st time with the hosts holding a slim 21-19 advantage in the series. PC grabbed a 31-21 victory last year in Clinton.
Completions Continue To Reign Supreme
• The Blue Hose sit in the top 15 as a team in completion percentage in all of FCS football. As a team, PC is at a 63.2 completion percentage.
• Redshirt Senior John Walker leads the way with a 61.7% (111-180) with freshman Jordan Morgan completing eight of nine passes he’s attempted.
Defending the Pass
• PC currently is ninth in all of FCS allowing just 164.7 passing yards per game. The Blue Hose have allowed just one team to throw for over 200 yards in a game this season.
• As a team the Blue Hose have five interceptions as well as forcing 19 pass breakups this season.
• Trent Carrington leads the defense with a pair of interceptions. Robert Baker, Rod Haygood and Reggie Brown have all added one apiece.
• Carrington leads the defense with five pass breakups.
Blue Hose in The Ranks
• Quarterback John Walker maintains his league lead with a 61.7 completion percentage.
• Jarrett Nagy leads the conference with 9.7 tackles per game with Colby Campbell third at 8.7 per contest.
• Gyasi Yeldell is tied for the conference lead with 3.5 sacks on the season. Campbell is tied for third with three sacks.
• Trent Carrington is fifth with seven passes defensed (five breakups, two interceptions), while Rod Haygood sits with five passes defensed (four breakups, one interception).
• DaShawn Davis and Keith Pearson sit second and third in the league in receptions per game. Davis has 5.7 catches per game with Pearson sitting at 5.3 on the season.
Scouting the Opponent
• Gardner-Webb enters play at 2-6 after picking up a 35-7 victory against Campbell last time out.
• The Runnin’ Bulldogs offense is led by Jordan Smith as he has thrown for seven touchdowns on the season. Smith has a 51.3 completion percentage while throwing for 1,134 yards this season.
• Jayln Cagle leads the GWU ground game with 349 yards on the ground and three scores followed by AJ Moses with 225 yards and two scores.
• Kyle Horton paces the Bulldog wideouts with 368 yards and two touchdowns, while Jonathan Blackmon has 219 yards and a touchdown.
• Corey Horne leads the defense with 69 tackles, 1.0 tackles for loss and three quarterback hurries. Shai Thomas has 52 tackles to go along with a team-high 6.0 tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks.
• The Blue Hose return to Bailey Memorial Stadium one final time to face Campbell next Saturday with a 12 p.m. kick for senior day. PC will honor its 2018 senior class prior to kickoff of next Saturday’s matchup with the Camels as the game will be live on ESPN+.