CLINTON, S.C. --- Six wrestlers from the Presbyterian College Men’s Wrestling program competed unattached in Las Vegas over the weekend at the 2019 UWW Nationals. The wrestlers that competed were Bernardino Gomez, Khalid Brinkley, Hunter Corwin, Imani Heslop, Jacob Brasseur and Austin Stith. The group competed in both the Freestyle and Greco divisions during the event in Las Vegas.
HOW IT HAPPENED GRECO
- In the 55kg Sr. Greco, Bernardino Gomez opened his meet with a 10-5 victory before suffering a 15-6 setback in his second match. Gomez bounced back with a 4-3 win before a 8-0 loss that put him in a match for seventh place. He earned All-American Status for his top eight finish in the Greco Wrestling.
- Gomez qualified for the World Team Trials later this year. This is the next step towards making the senior world team.
- In the 97kg weight class, Austin Stith opened his competition with an 8-0 loss before bouncing back in his second match with a 9-0 victory. Stith’s UWW Jr. Greco competition was completed with an 11-2 defeat on Thursday.
- In the 55kg weight class, Jacob Brasseur fell 10-1 in his opening match before a 9-0 defeat in his second match of the day. Brasseur competed in the UWW Jr. Greco competition.
- In the 72kg Sr. Greco, Hunter Corwin had a pair of defeats on Thursday by the count of 13-4 and 8-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED FREESTYLE
- In the 57kg Senior Men’s Freestyle, Gomez opened his competition with a 10-0 defeat before bouncing back with a 12-1 victory over Colorado Mesa in the consolation bracket. Gomez advanced by forfeit from his opponent in the consolation round of 16 bracket before suffering a 10-0 defeat to end his tournament.
- In the 125kg Senior Men’s Freestyle, Imani Heslop picked up a 10-0 victory in his first match before dropping a 10-0 result to the top seeded wrestler in the 125kg bracket. In the consolation bracket, Heslop earned a 6-2 bounce back victory before a 12-2 defeat ended his tournament in Las Vegas.
- Brasseur competed in the 57kg UWW Junior Freestyle and was able to earn a 10-0 victory in his opening match over Colorado Mesa before falling 10-0 against Missouri which pushed him into the consolation bracket. He dropped a 4-1 matchup against Tiger Wrestling.
- Stith competed in the 92kg UWW Junior Freestyle and fell in his opening match by the score of 11-1 before advancing to the opening the consolation bracket first by forfeit before he earned a 12-9 win over a wrestler from the NYC Regional Training Center. Stith’s tournament concluded with a 15-4 setback against Wolfpack Wrestling Club.
- Hunter Corwin in the 74kg UWW Junior Freestyle suffered a pair of defeats against a wrestler from Ohio State and West Point RTC.
- Khalid Brinkley in the 61kg UWW Junior Freestyle fell in the opening match by a 7-0 result before dropping a 12-1 decision in the consolation bracket to conclude his time in Las Vegas.