Who: Presbyterian vs Mercer
When: Saturday, February 11 – 2 p.m. ET
Where: Old Bailey Stadium – Clinton, S.C.
Blue Hose host Mercer in season opener
• The Presbyterian College women’s lacrosse team begins its 2017 campaign this Saturday, February 11 as the Blue Hose host Mercer in a 2 p.m. ET game at Old Bailey Stadium.
Returning for PC
• Presbyterian returns 10 starters from last season (three sophomores, four juniors, and three seniors), including senior Maura Talvacchia who started in all 18 games and set new school records with 72 caused turnovers and 66 ground balls. Also returning are last year’s leading scorers in junior Lauren Schaaf (32 goals), and sophomore Cady Roberts (24 goals), as well as senior Alexandra Cole, who led the team with 29 draw controls.
• Captains for the Blue Hose this season are senior defenders Talvacchia and Amanda Lindsey.
Scouting the Bears
• Mercer was picked to finish sixth in the Atlantic Sun Preseason Coaches’ Poll. The Bears are led by captains Kate Leone, Meghan Segreti, and Lindsey Zeltwanger. Zeltwanger and Haleigh Wurzel earned Preseason All-Conference honors, while Segreti and Erica Coyne were named to the ASUN Preseason Watch List.
• The Bears posted a 7-11 overall record and went 4-4 in conference play in 2016. Zeltwanger and Coyne each scored 33 goals to lead the team on offense. Wurzel started all 18 games in the cage for Mercer and led the nation with 207 saves and 11.50 saves per game. She led the ASUN and ranked third nationally with a .521 save percentage.
• Saturday marks the third meeting between the two programs. The series is tied 1-1, with the Blue Hose taking the first game 15-14 on March 20, 2015 at Old Bailey Stadium. Mercer evened the series last season with a 10-9 decision on February 28 in Macon, Ga.
Big South Preseason Poll
• PC was picked to finish sixth alongside Radford in the Big South Conference Preseason Poll. High Point, which fell to Winthrop 10-7 in the 2016 Conference Championship, is the preseason favorite after receiving six of the eight first-place votes and two second-place votes.
Talvacchia earns Preseason Honors
• Talvacchia earned Preseason All-Conference honors. The senior defense started all 18 games last season and finished 2016 as the nation’s leader in caused turnovers (4.00 per game) and ground balls (3.67 per game). Her efforts were good for All-Conference honors for the third straight season.Next Time Out
• PC makes the short trip to Greenville, S.C. on Wednesday, February 22 as the Blue Hose play at Furman in a 5 p.m. ET game in Paladin Stadium.