Spartanburg, S.C. – Cortney Storey tied her career high with 27 points, her third career 25+ point effort and the Blue Hose defeated the USC Upstate Spartans 83-69 on Wednesday night. The 27 points also ties the single game individual record during the Division I era, since 2007-08. The Blue Hose would turn the Spartans over 20 times to help lead the them to their first 80+ point game since December 29, 2015.
Player of the Game:
Storey would finish with a game high 27 points, six rebounds, five assists and four steals. This was her third career 25+ point game and eighth career 20+ game. Kacie Hall with 15, Briley Buckner with nine Ericka Blackwell-Boyden with seven, and Mattie Kennedy with six all chipped in career highs in points, Buckner also added a career high three steals. Janie Miles scored a season high 16 points on the night with four made three-point baskets, one off tying her career high, she also chipped in six assists.
Stat of the Game:
Presbyterian made a season high 11 three-point baskets on a season low 18 attempts as they shot 61.1 percent from behind the arc. The Blue Hose finished 24 of 30 from the free throw line a season best. They also recorded a season high 13 steals resulting in a season high 20 turnovers forced.
How it Happened:
The Blue Hose would jump out to a 9-0 lead in the first 4:25 of the game and would never trail as Upstate could only get within a point one occasion. Blackwell-Boyden would score the Blue Hose’s first points for the third game in a row, this time knocking down two free throws. Hall would knock down a trey and PC would be off and running.
Upstate would battle in the first quarter as it responded with an 8-2 run of its own to cut the Blue Hose lead to 11-8. The Spartans would make it a one-point game late in the first quarter on a Camilla Kilinc three-point basket but could never get closer as Storey hit a three-point shot with three seconds to go in first period.
The Blue Hose used that three-point basket at the end of the first to spur a second period that saw the Blue Hose outscore the Spartans 25-9. Storey would score seven of her game high 27 points in the second period including five in a 30 second stretch where she would record back to back steals and made baskets with a foul shot. This spurt was the driving force that led to the Blue Hose’s 42-22 half-time lead.
Both teams got off to a back and forth start in the second half as it was 51-31 less than three minutes into the third period. The Spartans would then lock down on defense as they went on 11-1 run to pull within 10 points at 52-42. Hall would make a lay-up and Kennedy followed that up with a pair of free throws to make it a 14-point game before Upstate added a free throw. PC would finish the third period off with an 11-2 run of its own to make the score 63-44 after three.
The Spartans kept trying to chip away in the fourth quarter but could never get closer than 11 coming down the stretch.
“I was very pleased with the effort tonight, especially coming on the heels of such tough games in California,” said PC coach Todd Steelman. “I thought we had great energy to start the game, and we were committed to executing on the offensive end. Our defensive intensity was excellent early on but we need to be able to sustain that throughout the game.”
“It was great to see Janie perform so well, but it was a solid effort overall by our team,” said Steelman. “Hopefully, we can carry some things over to our game at Chattanooga on Saturday.”
- The Blue Hose improved to 1-2 on the season while dropping Upstate to 0-2.
- PC is 19-21 in 40 all-time meetings with Upstate.
- PC scored 83 points, its most points since December 16, 2013 versus Truett-McConnell.
- Presbyterian finished with 24 made free throws, its most since making 23 versus Charleston Southern on February 9, 2016.
- The Blue Hose made 10+ three-point baskets for the first time this season.
- PC recorded a season high 13 steals leading to a season high 20 forced turnovers.
- The Blue Hose finished with 15 assists on 24 made baskets.
- Storey would tie her career high of 27 points in the game. Her 27 points is also the PC Division I era single game record.
- 27 points was the most anyone has scored since she scored 27 versus Coastal Carolina on February 10, 2015. That was her freshman season.
- Hall with 15, Buckner with nine, Blackwell-Boyden with seven and Kennedy with six points all set new career highs.
- Storey now has 942 points putting her 58 points away from 1,000 career points. She also has 357 career assists and 167 career steals as she approaches the elusive 1,000 points, 400 assists and 200 steals plateau.
- Buckner had a career high three steals.
The Blue Hose travel to face Chattanooga, it will be just the second time they have faced each other as Chattanooga won 56-48 in last season’s matchup.