Fayetteville, N.C. – The Presbyterian College baseball team was unable to overcome a nine run eighth inning from High Point as the Panthers defeated the Blue Hose 15-4 in the Big South tournament at SEGRA Stadium.
Final Score: High Point 15, Presbyterian 4
Location: Fayetteville, N.C. (Segra Stadium)
Records: Presbyterian (30-29) | High Point (26-26)
WP: Muhammed Eid (3-3) | LP: Grayson Stoneking (2-5)
- Presbyterian’s offense was led by Jimmy Marcelli and Johnny Cook as both had a pair of hits.
- Grayson Stoneking struck out a career-high six on Thursday night. Stoneking also matched a career-high with 6.0 innings pitched.
- Marcelli picked up his 23rd multi-hit game of the year. He’s tied for the team-high in that category with Zacchaeus Rasberry.
- Cook picked up his 14th multiple hit game of the season. He also had his seventh game with at least two RBIs.
- Rasberry picked up a bunt single in the fifth which extended his reached base streak to 11 games in a row.
- The Blue Hose picked up their 30th win on Wednesday for just the second time in the D1 era. Presbyterian won 32 games during the 2017 season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Presbyterian got on the board in the first with an RBI single from White before an RBI single from Cook pushed the Blue Hose lead out to 2-0.
- The Panthers got on the board in the third with an RBI single and a two-run single to give High Point a 3-2 lead.
- Cook evened the game up in the third with an RBI single that scored Jimmy Marcelli.
- In the fifth, High Point picked up an RBI single to regain the lead at 4-3.
- High Point pushed across nine runs in the eighth inning to give the Panthers a 13-3 lead.
- The Panthers picked up two runs in the ninth to give them a 15-3 lead.
- PC added a run on a High Point wild pitch and make it a 15-4 final.