Charleston, S.C. – The Presbyterian College baseball team was unable to overcome multi-run sixth and seventh from the host Charleston Southern as the Bucs earned a 10-5 win in a series opener over the Blue Hose Thursday night at the CSU Ballpark.
Final Score: Charleston Southern 10, Presbyterian 5
Location: Charleston, S.C. (CSU Ballpark)
Records: Presbyterian (27-27, 14-11 Big South) | Charleston Southern (21-32, 11-14 Big South)
WP: Seth Owens (3-4) | LP: Eric Miles (6-4) | Save: RJ Petit (5)
- Presbyterian was led offensively by Zacchaeus Rasberry, Jonathan White, Jimmy Marcelli and Michael Varga Each had a pair of hits.
- White hit his third home run of the season in the fourth inning and it was a part of his 16th multi-hit game of the year.
- Rasberry with his first inning single extended his hit streak to six straight games. He also added a double for his 22nd multi-hit game of the season.
- Marcelli picked up his 20th game with at least two hits this season, while Michael Varga had his second multi-hit game.
- Rasberry also tied the team-high with his 10th multi-RBI game of the year.
- Ashby Smith led the second inning off with a solo home run for his fourth long ball of the season.
- With his eight strikeouts on Thursday night, Eric Miles moved into seventh in the Blue Hose D1 record book with 164 strikeouts in his career.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Charleston Southern got on the board first on a hit by pitch with the bases loaded to take the early 1-0 lead.
- Smith answered in the second with a lead-off, solo home run to even up the score at one apiece.
- The Bucs regained the lead in their half of the second with an infield RBI single, pushing the lead to 2-1, before extending the lead to 4-1 off a two-run home run.
- In the fourth, following a Garrett Jones bunt single, Rasberry lined a double to left center to make it 4-2. PC continued the offense with a sac fly from Smith to make it 4-3. White hit a two-run home run to straightaway center to make it 5-4 Blue Hose.
- CSU responded with an RBI double in the fifth to even the game up at five heading to the sixth.
- The Buccaneers regained the lead with a two-run shot in the sixth to take a 7-5 lead.
- The hosts pushed their lead out in the seventh with a two-run single to take a 9-5 advantage.
- CSU added an RBI single in the eighth to push the lead out to 10-5 which propelled the Bucs to the game one victory.
- The Blue Hose continue their three-game series with the Buccaneers on Friday night with first pitch set for 6 p.m. on ESPN+.