Decatur, Ga. – The Presbyterian College baseball team used a season-high 17 hits to help lead the Blue Hose to a 13-4 victory over the host Georgia State at the GSU Baseball Complex on Wednesday night.
Final Score: Presbyterian 13, Georgia State 4
Location: Decatur, Ga. (GSU Baseball Complex)
Records: Presbyterian (24-25) | Georgia State (14-35)
WP: Matt Norton (2-0) | LP: Joseph Brandon (1-5)
- Presbyterian had a season-high 17 hits as all Blue Hose in the starting lineup Wednesday against Georgia State recorded at least one hit.
- The Blue Hose were led offensively by Ashby Smith and Garrett Jones who had three hits. Jonathan White and Johnny Cook each had a pair of hits for PC.
- White earned his 15th multi-hit game of the season, while Cook has 12 multi-hit game this season. Smith had his 11 multiple hit game and Jones picked up his fourth multi-hit game and his second in as many nights.
- Nick Guimbarda tied the team-high with his eighth multi-RBI game, while Cook and Smith picked up their sixth multi-RBI games of the season. Andrew Livingston picked up his fifth multiple RBI game of the year and Michael Varga
- Guimbarda extended his hit streak to a season-high seven with a ground-rule double in the eighth that scored a pair of runs. Guimbarda is 8-for-24 during that stretch with three doubles.
- Matt Norton in his second start of the season tossed a season-high 4.0 innings on Wednesday night.
- Luke Matthews tossed a season-high 3.0 innings in relief for the Blue Hose
- With his stolen base in the first inning, Zacchaeus Rasberry moved into a tie for fourth in the single season D1 record book with 13 stolen bases on the year.
- Guimbarda’s two-run double put him in a tie for sixth in the single season D1 record book for doubles with his 16th of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Presbyterian got the bats going quickly in the first inning as Smith lined a single back up the middle to score Rasberry and take the early 1-0 lead.
- The guests extended it with a two-run single off the bat of Cook to take a 3-0 lead after a half an inning.
- The Panthers got on the board in the second with a solo home run to make it 3-1.
- PC added a run in the fourth on an RBI single from Rasberry to take a 4-1 lead.
- Georgia State picked up an RBI single in the fifth inning to cut the Blue Hose lead to two, 4-2.
- The Blue Hose added a run off of an RBI double from Livingston the sixth to take a 5-2 lead.
- The Panthers added a run in the seventh on a solo home run to make it 5-3 PC.
- Guimbarda started the scoring in the eighth for PC with a ground-rule double that scored two before an RBI single from Smith pushed the lead out to 8-3.
- Presbyterian used an RBI double from Marcelli to make it 9-3 before a two-run single from Varga gave the Blue Hose an 11-3 lead.
- Jones added an RBI single before a sacrifice fly from Livingston capped an eight run eighth.
- The Panthers added a solo home run in the ninth but Presbyterian earned the 13-4 victory over the host Georgia State.
- The Blue Hose return to Big South play on Friday night as they travel to Longwood to open a three-game series with the Lancers. First pitch on Friday is set for 5:00 p.m.