Pittsburgh, Pa. – The Presbyterian College baseball team used a two-run single in the 12th from Ashby Smith to split a doubleheader against Pittsburgh on Saturday at Charles L. Cost Field. Pittsburgh took game one by the score of 2-1 before Presbyterian took the finale 9-7 in 12 innings.
Final Score Game One: Pittsburgh 2, Presbyterian 1
Final Score Game Two: Presbyterian 9, Pittsburgh 7 (12 Innings)
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa. (Charles L. Cost Field)
Records: Presbyterian (21-23) | Pittsburgh (14-27)
WP: Dan Hammer (3-5) | LP: Jackson Dean (3-4) | Save: Chase Smith (4)
WP: Clark Dearman (2-3) | LP: Chase Smith (3-6)
- Clark Dearman tossed 4.2 innings of scoreless baseball while tying his career-high with five strikeouts to earn the win in the Blue Hose 9-7 win.
- Nick Guimbarda, Ashby Smith and Jimmy Marcelli led the offense in game one with a pair of hits each including Guimbarda picking up his team-high 13th double.
- Jonathan White and Smith led the Blue Hose in the second game with three hits, while Matt Burke, Marcelli and Luke Matthews each added a pair of hits apiece in game two.
- Jimmy Marcelli picked up a pair of multi-hit games to give him 17 multiple hit games on the season. Guimbarda had his 14th multi-hit contest in the opening game of the twinbill.
- White with his three hits in the second game picked up his 12th multi-hit game of the year.
- Smith with his two multi-hit games has 10 multiple hit contests on the season, while Burke earned his second multiple hit game of the year.
- With his double in the first inning of game one on Saturday, Nick Guimbarda moved into a tie for sixth in the PC D1 record book for doubles with 39.
- In game one, Jackson Dean tossed a season-high 7.0 innings surpassing his previous high set against High Point last week where he threw 6.0 innings.
- Grayson Stoneking got the start in the series finale on Saturday and also tossed a career-high as he went 6.0 scoreless innings.
- In game two, Jonathan White drew a hit by pitch in the fourth inning for his 12th hit by pitch of the season and 22nd of his Blue Hose career. White now sits in sole possession of third place in the PC D1 Career Record Book for hit by pitches with 22.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME ONE
- The hosts struck first in the opening inning with an RBI single to take the early 1-0 lead.
- In the seventh, Pittsburgh added a run via the RBI groundout to make it 2-0.
- PC plated a run in the ninth on a double play ground ball to cut the lead to 2-1, however Pittsburgh shut the door to take game one of the doubleheader.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME TWO
- In the third, Presbyterian started the scoring with an RBI double by Matt Burke to give the Blue Hose a 1-0 lead.
- Marcelli extended Presbyterian’s lead in the sixth with an RBI double that extended the lead to 2-0.
- PC added another run in the frame on a Pittsburgh error to push the lead to 3-0.
- Matthews continued the PC offense with a sacrifice bunt before Burke added an RBI single to make it 5-0.
- Smith capped off the six run frame with a two-run single that pushed the Blue Hose lead out to 7-0.
- The hosts plated seven runs in the eighth inning to knot the score at seven.
- In the 12th, Ashby Smith laced a two-run single back up the middle to make it 9-7 and Dearman shut the door for PC for the victory.
- The Blue Hose take the next week off for final exams before returning to the PC Baseball Complex on Friday May 3rd for a Big South series against Winthrop. The series opener with the Eagles on Friday afternoon is set for 3 p.m.