Clinton, S.C. – The Presbyterian College baseball team used a complete game performance from Eric Miles and some early offense to propel the Blue Hose to a 6-1 victory on Thursday afternoon at the PC Baseball Complex.
Final Score: Presbyterian 6, High Point 1
Location: Clinton, S.C. (PC Baseball Complex)
Records: Presbyterian (19-19, 11-5 Big South) | High Point (15-19, 8-8 Big South)
WP: Eric Miles (6-2) | LP: Grey Lyttle (3-2)
- Eric Miles continued his stellar pitching in Big South play as he tossed his second complete game of the year. He allowed one run while striking out seven Panthers.
- Miles currently, in league play is 5-1 with a 2.44 ERA and 43 strikeouts in 44.1 innings pitched.
- With the win, Miles moves within two victories of matching the PC D1 record for wins. Chandler Knox recorded 21 wins during his time at Presbyterian from 2011-14.
- Miles moved into a tie for third in the Blue Hose D1 record book with his third career complete game.
- Nick Guimbarda led the offense with three hits including a two-run single in the opening frame for the Blue Hose.
- Ashby Smith and Zacchaeus Rasberry each added two hits to the stat line. Rasberry now is tied for the team-high with 14 multi-hit games on the year.
- Guimbarda has reached base safely in 15 straight games. Smith pushed his reached base streak to 11 games in a row with his two hits on Thursday.
- With his fifth inning single, Jimmy Marcelli has hits in each of his last nine games.
- The Blue Hose improve to 13-4 when scoring first this season with a 7-1 mark coming in Big South games.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Blue Hose got on the board in the first with a sacrifice fly from White before a two-run double from Smith made it 3-0 after one inning.
- In the second, Guimbarda extended the lead to 5-0 with a two-run single to left field.
- High Point got on the board in the fourth with a solo home run to make it 5-1.
- Johnny Cook extended the Blue Hose lead in the fifth with an RBI single to make it 6-1 after five innings.
- Miles faced two over the minimum over the final four innings as he earned his sixth victory of the year in his second complete game of the season.
- The Blue Hose continue their three-game series with the Panthers on Friday with first pitch slated for 3 p.m. at the PC Baseball Complex.