Spartanburg, S.C. – The Presbyterian College baseball team used a pair of one run games on Saturday to take down USC Upstate and finish a three game sweep of the Spartans at Harley Park.
Final Score Game One: Presbyterian 5, USC Upstate 4
Final Score Game Two: Presbyterian 4, USC Upstate 3
Location: Spartanburg, S.C. (Cleveland S. Harley Baseball Park)
Records: Presbyterian (18-18, 10-5 Big South) | USC Upstate (16-20, 4-11 Big South)
WP: Grayson Stoneking (2-1) | LP: Ben Ferrer (2-1)
WP: Jackson Dean (3-3) | LP: Will Wheeler (3-2) | Save: Austin Paradis (2)
- It is the first Blue Hose seven game win streak since Feb. 23-Mar. 2 2013 when PC swept NCCU and High Point and added a win over Wofford in the process.
- Ashby Smith paced the Blue Hose offense on Saturday with a pair of multi-hit games which included his second home run of the season in game one.
- Johnny Cook and Michael Varga had multiple hits in game one while Nick Guimbarda and Jimmy Marcelli each had a pair of hits in the night cap.
- Marcelli hit his second-long ball of the season in game two that turned out to be the game winner.
- Austin Paradis in the night cap entered in the eighth with bases loaded and nobody out and sat the Spartans down 1-2-3. He added a scoreless ninth for his second save of the week.
- Paradis concluded the week with 5.0 shutout innings as he racked up 10 strikeouts and a pair of saves.
- Clark Dearman tossed a career-high 4.2 innings in game one of this afternoon’s contest. Dearman struck out a career best five batters in a no decision on Saturday.
- This is the second straight sweep for the Blue Hose after taking all three from UNC Asheville last weekend in Clinton. PC has now won four of five series in Big South play.
- Guimbarda extended his reached base streak to a season-high 13 consecutive games.
- Marcelli has a team-high seven game hit streak following his three hits on Saturday.
- PC improves to 10-4 in one-run games and are 12-4 in games where they hit a home run.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME ONE
- In the third, USC Upstate got on the board with an RBI single with two outs to take the early 1-0 lead.
- PC got on the board in the fourth with a sacrifice fly to left field from Jonathan White that allowed Guimbarda to score and make it 1-1.
- Presbyterian added a run in the fifth on a USC Upstate passed ball to take a 2-1 lead.
- The Spartans tied the game in the fifth with a two out RBI single.
- The Blue Hose took a 3-2 lead on Smith’s second home run of the season in the seventh.
- In the eighth, Marcelli extended the PC lead with an RBI single to centerfield and make it 4-2 Blue Hose.
- The hosts picked up a pair of runs in the eighth with an RBI groundout and an RBI single to tie it up at four thru eight innings.
- PC took the lead for good in the ninth following a leadoff single from Varga. Pinch runner Matt Burke moved up to second before stealing third and coming home on a Spartan error to give PC the 5-4 win.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME TWO
- The hosts struck first after taking advantage of a Blue Hose error to take the 1-0 lead after one inning.
- Zacchaeus Rasberry got the Blue Hose on the board with a two-run double to left center in the second to make it 2-1 PC.
- The Spartans knotted it up at two apiece in the third with an RBI groundout.
- USC Upstate took the lead on a RBI single to take a 3-2 lead thru five innings.
- In the seventh, Marcelli gave the Blue Hose the lead once again with a two-run home run to make it 4-3 thru 6.5 innings.
- Paradis came in the eighth with bases loaded and would go on to toss two scoreless innings while striking out four to get his second save of the week.
- The Blue Hose hit the road on Tuesday for their second of three meetings with Davidson at Wilson Field In Davidson, N.C. with first pitch slated for 6 p.m. on ESPN+.