Spartanburg, S.C. – The Presbyterian College baseball team jumped out to an early 4-0 lead but it was a fly ball double play from Nick Guimbarda that preserved a 7-6 victory over Wofford in 10 innings on Wednesday night at Russell C. King Field.
Final Score: Presbyterian 7, Wofford 6 (10 Innings)
Location: Spartanburg, S.C. (Russell C. King Field)
Records: Presbyterian (15-18) | Wofford (21-13)
WP: Johnny Cook (2-1) | LP: Rasesh Pandya (2-2) | Save: Austin Paradis (1)
- PC was led offensively by Guimbarda, Jimmy Marcelli and Jonathan White who paced the Blue Hose with two hits apiece.
- Marcelli now has a team-high 12 multi-hit games while White is one behind with 11 multi-hit contests.
- White had a team best three RBIs which included his first home run of the season in the first inning.
- Guimbarda added a pair of RBI singles in the win while Marcelli had an RBI single of his own in the 10th.
- It was Presbyterian’s first extra-inning game since May 19, 2018 when the Blue Hose fell 4-3 at High Point. It’s the first extra-inning win since May 12, 2018 when PC won 4-3 in 11 over Longwood.
- PC improved to 11-4 when scoring first this season and are now 8-4 in one-run games. Presbyterian is 8-3 when scoring at least six runs this season and are 9-4 when hitting a home run.
- Austin Paradis tossed a scoreless inning of relief in the tenth which included a strikeout to record his first career save.
- Guimbarda and White both extended their reached base streak to 10 games in a row on Wednesday.
- Matt Burke got his first career start in left field for Presbyterian on Wednesday night.
- Luke Matthews made his first career appearance on the mound.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- PC got on the board first in the opening half inning as Guimbarda lined a single to right field that scored Zacchaeus Rasberry and gave the Blue Hose the 1-0 lead.
- Two batters later, White turned on a ball to left field and hit his first home run of the season to give Presbyterian a 3-0 lead.
- In the fourth, PC added a run on an RBI groundout off the bat of Graham Mitchell to make it 4-0 after 3.5 innings.
- Wofford got on the board in the fourth with a pair of runs courtesy of a solo home run and a bunt single to make it 4-2 after four innings.
- In the seventh, following a triple from the Terriers they pushed across a run on a one-out sacrifice fly to make it 4-3 PC.
- PC pushed the lead out to two with an RBI single in the eighth off the bat of Guimbarda.
- The hosts answered with a double steal to make it 5-4 as the game moved to the ninth.
- Wofford knotted the game up with two outs in the ninth on an RBI double to even the game up at five and send us to the tenth.
- PC jumped on Wofford in the tenth, Marcelli lined a single through the left side to take a 6-5 lead before White hit a double to left field to make it 7-5.
- Wofford plated a run in the tenth on a wild pitch before Paradis shut the door on the Terriers highlighted by a fly ball double play to Guimbarda to end it.
- The Blue Hose return to Big South action on Friday when they travel to USC Upstate to begin a three-game series. Friday’s game is slated for a 7:00 p.m. first pitch in Spartanburg and will be shown on ESPN3.