Clinton, S.C. – The Presbyterian College baseball team used a strong pitching performance from Eric Miles to help propel the Blue Hose to a 4-2 victory over UNC Asheville to open the three game series on Friday afternoon at the PC Baseball Complex.
Final Score: Presbyterian 4, UNC Asheville 2
Location: Clinton, S.C. (PC Baseball Complex)
Records: Presbyterian (12-18, 5-5 Big South) | UNC Asheville (11-17, 6-4 Big South)
WP: Eric Miles (4-2) | LP: Jordan Carr (2-5) | Save: Matt Norton (3)
- Eric Miles was strong once again on Friday as the junior tossed eight innings with the first 6.1 innings going by without allowing a hit. He finished the day allowing three hits and a pair of runs while striking out eight en route to the victory.
- Miles now has 17 career victories and is just four wins away from tying the Blue Hose D1 record for wins. Chandler Knox had 21 wins during his PC career which went from 2011-14.
- Johnny Cook had his sixth multi-hit game of the year to pace the Blue Hose offense. Cook also extended his hit streak to a team-high six consecutive games.
- Nick Guimbarda, with his eighth inning home run, moved into a five way tie for fifth in the Blue Hose D1 record book with his 15th career homer.
- Garrett Jones, with his seventh inning two-run single, picked up his first multi RBI game of his Presbyterian career.
- Jonathan White and Guimbarda both extended their reached base streaks to seven consecutive games on Friday.
- With the win, head coach Elton Pollock now sits at 299 career victories.
- Presbyterian also improves to 10-3 on its home field. The Blue Hose are also 9-4 on the year when they score first.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Miles was strong from the opening of the game on Friday as he faced one over the minimum thru the first five innings as neither team could plate a run with Miles striking out five Bulldog batters.
- In the fifth, PC got on the board with an RBI double to the left center field gap from Ashby Smith that scored White to give the Blue Hose the 1-0 advantage.
- UNC Asheville broke through in the seventh with a pair of solo home runs to take a 2-1 lead.
- The Blue Hose responded in the home half of the seventh with the first two batters reaching before Smith sacrificed them over to second and third. Jones would then convert on a two-run single up the middle to give PC the 3-2 advantage.
- Guimbarda in the eighth added some insurance with a solo home run to left center before Matt Norton slammed the door for PC to earn a 4-2 victory.
- The Blue Hose continue their three-game series with the Bulldogs tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. with the game being shown on ESPN+.
- Sunday's series finale has been moved up to 11:00 a.m. due to pending inclement weather.