Clinton, S.C. – The Presbyterian College baseball team used a pair of runs in the bottom of the ninth capped by a Nick Guimbarda sacrifice fly to defeat Wofford 5-4 Wednesday afternoon at the PC Baseball Complex.
Final Score: Presbyterian 5, Wofford 4
Location: Clinton, S.C. (PC Baseball Complex)
Records: Presbyterian (11-14, 4-2 Big South) vs Wofford (17-10, 0-0 SoCon)
WP: Austin Paradis (1-0) | LP: Reece Maniscalco (1-1)
- Jonathan White led the Blue Hose offense with three hits including a double for his seventh multi-hit game of the season.
- White’s three hits match a season-high that the senior also achieved last week against Davidson.
- Johnny Cook added a pair of doubles and Jimmy Marcelli added a two-run double.
- Austin Paradis tossed a season-high 2.0 innings of relief for the win as he struck out a pair of batters.
- The Blue Hose improve to 8-2 when scoring first and improved to 7-3 in one-run games. PC moved to 9-3 on its home field with today’s victory.
- The win moves Elton Pollock to within two of 300 career victories at Presbyterian.
- Patrick McNamara came on in the seventh to get the final two outs in the inning for his first action of the 2019 season.
- It’s the Blue Hose second straight 5-4 win over the Terriers as they earned the same result on March 6th at the PC Baseball Complex.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first, Marcelli got the offense going with a two-run double over the centerfielder’s head to score Zacchaeus Rasberry and White to give PC the early 2-0 lead.
- Wofford pushed across its first run of the game the next half inning with an RBI single back up the middle to make it 2-1.
- Presbyterian maintained a 2-1 lead until the seventh inning when the Terriers picked up a two-run single to take their first lead of the game at 3-2.
- PC tied it in the eighth with a Jeremiah Boyd sacrifice fly.
- The guests retook the lead in the ninth off of a solo home run to left that gave them a 4-3 advantage.
- In the ninth, Cook led it off with a ground-rule double and he would be sacrificed to third by pinch hitter Garrett Jones. Ashby Smith would draw a walk to force a Wofford pitching change.
- Rasberry hit a grounder to shortstop who came home and threw wide to allow the tying run to score and put runners on second and third. White was intentionally walked to load the bases.
- Guimbarda hit a deep fly to rightfield that allowed the winning run to scamper home and give PC a 5-4 victory.
- The Blue Hose head out on the road for their first Big South series away from Clinton as PC travels to Buies Creek for a three-game series with Campbell beginning on Friday at 6 p.m. on ESPN+. Saturday’s 3 p.m. first pitch and Sunday’s 2 p.m. first pitch will also be shown on ESPN+.