Clinton, S.C. – The Presbyterian College baseball team used a seven RBI performance from Jimmy Marcelli to push the Blue Hose to an 11-6 win over Gardner-Webb on Sunday afternoon.
Final Score: Presbyterian 11, Gardner-Webb 6
Location: Clinton, S.C. (PC Baseball Complex)
Records: Presbyterian (10-14, 4-2 Big South) vs Gardner-Webb (10-10, 2-4 Big South)
WP: Reagan Fowler (2-3) | LP: Kyle Ruehlman (2-1) | Save: Grayson Stoneking (1)
- Jimmy Marcelli led the offense on Sunday with a 4-for-5 performance at the plate including a double and a triple and seven runs driven in.
- Marcelli’s seven RBIs is one short of the Blue Hose D1 record for runs batted in for a single game as Nick Wise had eight at UNC Asheville last April.
- Nick Guimbarda also matched a career-high with four hits and three doubles for the Blue Hose as he had a pair of RBI.
- Guimbarda’s three doubles ties the D1 single game record for most doubles in a game set most recently by Guimbarda on 5/20/17 at Liberty.
- The reigning Big South Starting Pitcher of the week continued his dominance of Big South hitters as he tossed five shutout innings allowing just two hits and a walk while striking out five for the victory.
- With his single in the opening inning Zacchaeus Rasberry extended his reached base streak to a team-high six straight games. He also has a team-best five game hit streak.
- PC improves to 7-2 in games where they score first on the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- PC got on the board in the opening inning as Marcelli lined a double to right field to score Rasberry and give the Blue Hose a 1-0 lead.
- In the second, Andrew Livingston lined a double of his own to right-center to score a run and give PC a 2-0 advantage.
- Marcelli continued his solid day at the plate with an RBI singe that plated a pair of runs to extend the lead to 4-0. Jeremiah Boyd added an RBI single of his own to push it to a 5-0 lead after three innings.
- In the fourth, Marcelli cleared the bases with a three-run triple to give Presbyterian an 8-0 lead thru four innings.
- Marcelli added another RBI single in the sixth to push the Blue Hose lead to 9-0.
- Gardner-Webb got on the board in the seventh with four runs highlighted by a two-run single and an RBI double to make it 9-4.
- PC responded with a two-run double by Guimbarda to push the lead back to 11-4.
- The Bulldogs scored twice in the ninth before Grayson Stoneking came in to close the door and get the Blue Hose the series victory.
- The Blue Hose return to the PC Baseball Complex for a midweek matchup with Wofford on Wednesday afternoon with first pitch slated for 3 p.m. on ESPN+. PC earned a 5-4 victory over the Terriers on March 6th at Presbyterian.