LYNCHBURG, Va. – The second seeded Presbyterian College men’s tennis team defeated the No. 3 seed UNC Asheville, 4-1, on Friday afternoon in Lynchburg, Va. to advance to the Big South Championship match. The Blue Hose will face top seeded Coastal Carolina at 3 p.m. on Saturday for the Big South title.
PC has advanced to the Big South title match on two previous occasions. Its last appearance came in 2013 against the Chanticleers with the Blue Hose coming out on the wrong end of a 4-1 decision. PC also made the championship match in 2012 as the No. 7 seed, falling to the No. 1 seed Radford, 4-0. The Blue Hose will play for the Big South tourney title for the third time in the last five seasons, most among all schools.
The Blue Hose claimed the doubles point for the second straight day with wins on courts one and three. Alexander Lykou and Brandon Mills took the match on court one, 6-3, for their eighth doubles victory as a pair this season. Joel Roberts and Diego Manzanas then took a 6-3 victory at No. 3 to give PC the 1-0 lead.
PC opened singles play with a victory at No. 5, as a Diego Manzanas won in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2, to put PC in front 2-0. UNC Asheville then took the match at No. 2 with a 6-2, 6-4 victory by Henry Patten to make it a 2-1 PC advantage.
Mills then earned his 14th singles victory of the year with a win in straight sets on No. 4, 7-6 (9-7), 6-2, to give PC the 3-1 margin. Ben Kelley then clinched the match for the Blue Hose with a three-set victory on court six, winning 4-6, 6-1, 6-2 to put PC back in the championship match.
PC is now 7-6 all-time in the Big South Championship in 13 matches played since becoming eligible for the tournament in 2010.
Presbyterian 4, UNC Asheville 1
1. Alexander Lykou (PC) vs. Alex Croker (AVL) 6-3, 2-6, 4-3, unfinished
2. Henry Patten (AVL) def. Alejandro Bejar (PC) 6-2, 6-4
3. Danny Bruce (PC) vs. Thomas Orestis-Pano (AVL) 6-3, 4-6, 0-2, unfinished
4. Brandon Mills (PC) def. Josh Swindler (AVL) 7-6 (9-7), 6-2
5. Diego Manzanas (PC) def. Brett Landau (AVL) 6-4, 6-2
6. Ben Kelley (PC) def. Daniel Kripak (AVL) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
1. Alexander Lykou/Brandon Mills (PC) def. Brett Landau/Alex Croker (AVL) 6-4
2. Danny Bruce/Ben Kelley (PC) vs. Josh Swindler/Henry Patten (AVL) 5-3, unfinished
3. Joel Roberts/Diego Manzanas (PC) def. Thomas Orestis-Pano/Reid Dillon (AVL) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (5,2,4,6)