CLINTON, S.C. - The Presbyterian College men’s tennis team split its home-opening doubleheader on Saturday at the Templeton Tennis Courts. The Blue Hose were edged by Appalachian State in a very competitive match, 4-3, to start the day before holding off Dalton State, 5-2, in the later match.
With the victory over the Roadrunners, first-year head coach Patrick Fediuk earns his first victory as a head coach. The Blue Hose split their first doubleheader of the season at home to pick their first win of the year.
In the early match, Appalachian State claimed the three doubles matches to take the early 1-0 lead in the match. Brandon Mills would tie it at 1-1 with a 6-4, 6-1 victory at No. 5 singles. App St would pull in front 3-1 with win at No. 3 and No. 1 but Ben Kelley would pull the match within one with a 6-3, 6-3 win at No. 6.
The final two matches would head to three sets. Alejandro Bejar battled Jack Maddocks at No. 2, claiming the opening set, 6-2, before Maddocks took the second set, 6-2. Maddocks would prevail despite strong effort from Bejar to take the set 6-2 and the match 2-1. Joel Roberts earned a three-set victory at No. 4 to close out the match. He took the opening set 7-5, before App St’s Scott Webster took the second, 7-6. Roberts would outlast his opponent, though, as he claimed the final frame 6-1.
In the later match, PC claimed two of three doubles matches with wins at No. 1 and 2. Kelley and Roberts earned their second win of the year with an 8-3 win at No. 1. Diego Manzanas and Danny Bruce followed with an 8-5 win at No. 2 doubles to make it a 1-0 PC lead.
Bruce would get PC off to a hot start in singles with his first victory of the year at No. 1 singles, 6-2, 6-2. Steven Weaver then make it a 3-0 match with a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 6, before Manzanas clinched the PC victory with a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 2.
Dalton State would take the matches at No. 3 and 4, including a three-set win at No. 4, but Will Baird would cap off the match for PC by winning at No. 5, 6-3, 2-6, 6-4.
PC returns to action on Tuesday, February 2, when its plays host to USC Upstate at 3 p.m.
Appalachian State 4, Presbyterian 3
1. Oliver Casey (APP) def. Danny Bruce (PC) 6-1, 6-3
2. Jack Maddocks (APP) def. Alejandro Bejar (PC) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Scott Webster (APP) def. Diego Manzanas (PC) 6-2, 7-5
4. Joel Roberts (PC) def. Jan-Willem Kleynhans (APP) 7-5, 6-7, 6-1
5. Brandon Mills (PC) def. Zach Bost (APP) 6-4, 6-1
6. Ben Kelley (PC) def. Trey Morris (APP) 6-3, 6-3
1. Jack Maddocks/Oliver Casey (APP) def. Ben Kelley/Joel Roberts (PC) 6-2
2. Scott Webster/Jan-Willem Kleynhans (APP) def. Danny Bruce/Brandon Mills (PC) 7-5
3. Zach Bost/Trey Morris (APP) def. Diego Manzanas/Will Baird (PC) 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,3,6,1,*2,4)
Presbyterian 5, Dalton State 2
1. Danny Bruce (PC) def. Jose Ruda (DS) 6-2, 6-2
2. Diego Manzanas (PC) def. Edberg Espinoza (DS) 6-4, 6-4
3. Nikolay Nikiforov (DS) def. Joel Roberts (PC) 7-5, 0-6, 6-3
4. Joe Bray (DS) def. Ben Kelley (PC) 7-6, 7-6
5. Will Baird (PC) def. Adam Hornby (DS) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
6. Steven Weaver (PC) def. Seb Dartnell (DS) 6-3, 6-1
1. Kelley/Roberts (PC) def. Dartnell/Bray (DS) 8-3
2. Manzanas/Bruce (PC) def. Nikiforov/Espinoza (DS) 8-5
3. Hornby/Ruda (DS) def. Baird/Weaver (PC) 8-6