CHARLESTON, S.C. – The Presbyterian College men’s basketball team erased a 10-point first half deficit to lead by as many as 12 points en route to a 57-49 victory over Charleston Southern on Wednesday night in the Buc Dome in Charleston, S.C.
Stat of the Game
PC won the battle on the boards, outrebounding Charleston Southern, 42-28, for a margin of +14 on the night. That matches its best margin this season, after a +14 rebounding margin against Johnson on November 11, and is PC’s best against a Big South opponent since a +16 rebound margin against Longwood on January 14, 2015. Additionally, the 42 boards are the most by PC this season and its highest total since managing 43 against Charleston Southern last season.
Blue Hose Player of the Game
Davon Bell led the Blue Hose offense on the night, totaling 19 points on 8-of-14 shooting to go with nine rebounds and five assists. Bell finished with a team-high in all three categories, his such third game this season. The guard got 13 of his 19 points in the opening half and eight of his nine rebounds in the second half. He has now managed at least 10 points and four assists in each of his last three games.
How It Happened
Charleston Southern jumped out to an early lead, opening the game on a 10-0 run before a pair of free throws by Bell got the Blue Hose on the board, the first of his 13 first-half points. PC responded later in the opening half with a 10-0 run of its own to take a one-point advantage at 20-19 at the 9:18 mark. A three by CSU gave the Bucs a two-point lead but a layup by Reggie Dillard and a three by J.C. Younger put PC back in front. After back-to-back makes from CSU, PC closed out the half on an 8-0 run, capped off by a three-pointer by Romeo Crouch, to take a 33-26 lead in to halftime.
The Blue Hose saw its lead grow to 12 early in the second half, as PC came out hot, making five of its first seven shot attempts in the half. Charleston Southern slowly cut the lead in half with an 8-2 run to make it 47-41 with 8:33 to play in the contest. Dillard answered though with a three-pointer to push the advantage to nine, followed by a layup by Bell that made it an 11-point margin with just over seven minutes to play in the game. Charleston Southern pulled as close as five with under a minute to pull but a pair of free throws from Dillard and a make from the line from Armel TeTe pushed the final margin to eight at 57-49.
- Reggie Dillard totaled 17 points on 5-of-10 shooting, including 4-for-7 from behind the arc, and 3-of-4 from the charity stripe to reach double figures for the third straight game and the sixth time in nine conference games.
- PC shot 48.8 percent (21-of-43) from the floor in tonight’s contest, its best shooting percentage since shooting 51.7 percent against Campbell on January 9, a span of five games. It is also PC’s second best field goal percentage against a conference foe this season.
- Romeo Crouch recorded nine points and a career-high eight rebounds in the victory. Crouch has now tallied 20 points over his last two games, connecting on 8-of-14 shots (.571) from the field.
- The Blue Hose managed a season-high five blocks against the Bucs, led by Armel TeTe with two.
- Maleek Catchings, a member of the PC football team since 2014, has joined the PC men’s basketball team. The newcomer saw his first action on Wednesday night, playing six minutes, scoring his first basket, a layup at the 11:04 mark of the second half, and grabbing two rebounds.
For the Record
PC improves to 9-13 overall and 2-7 in the Big South. Charleston Southern fell to 7-14 overall on the year and 2-7 in the Big South.
PC returns home on Saturday, Jan. 27, to host Liberty in the Templeton Center at 4 p.m.
How to Follow