Buies Creek, N.C. – Behind the first career goals of Ricardo Hernandez and Kellan O’Hara the Blue Hose (6-8-3) defeated the Campbell Camels (9-7-3) by a 2-1 score on Sunday night at Eakes Athletics Complex.
How it happened:
The Blue Hose did not take long to get things started as Hernandez found the back of the net just 5:46 into the game. Hernandez, assisted by Mathias Mikalsen, took the ball down the right side and evading defenders got a kick off and put it back across the middle past the outstretched arms of the Camel goal keeper.
The next 31 minutes would be defensive as the Camels would put four first half shots on goal but Connor Behrend would come up with four saves in those cases. Presbyterian came up with their second goal of the half when Sergio Pinto, dribbling down the right side line made a cross back into the middle and hit O’Hara who connected on the goal to give PC the 2-0 lead.
The second half was back and forth with both teams playing great defensively. PC shutout Campbell for 84 minutes before the Camels got on the board. Taking a corner kick at the 84:48 mark Campbell’s Josh Hughes was able to curl the kick and sneak it past Behrend to close the gap to one goal.
Presbyterian was able to keep Campbell off the board the remaining five minutes. Campbell’s All-Conference forward JJ Donnelly took a kick in the last 10 seconds that went high and the Blue Hose maintained their 2-1 lead and came away victorious.
“I am very proud of the team for the team’s performance and mentality tonight,” said coach Jonathan Potter. “In the first half we created some goals and moved the ball very well. Campbell is a very tough and well coached team; it was a battle in the second half for both teams. I am very proud of our players for reaching a second straight Big South Conference Semi-Final.”
“Wednesday will be a great challenge for our program facing a very tough Radford team. We now aim to work hard in training this week to prepare for the match.”
Player of the Game:
Behrend, the senior goal-keeper, knowing that any game could be his final played a superb match recording six saves and allowing only one goal in 90 minutes. In two previous games versus Campbell he had recorded two shutouts. So in three career games versus Campbell he allowed one goal in 270 minutes in goal with 11 saves.
- PC defeated Campbell for the second time this season, and third time in a row.
- The Blue Hose are now 4-4 all-time versus the Campbell Camels.
- Presbyterian College improves to 2-1-1 in four Big South Tournament games.
- The Blue Hose will play the Radford Highlanders in the Big South Tournament Semi-Finals on Wednesday. The second year in a row to face Radford in semi-finals, the Highlanders advanced on PK’s in 2016.
- Hernandez and O’Hara each scored their first career goals in tonight's contest.
- The Blue Hose won for the second time this season when being outshot, Campbell outshot PC 15-12.
- PC scored seven goals on 25 shots in two games versus Campbell this season.
- The Blue Hose have now set team records for total points (65), total goals (23) and total assists (19) in the Division I era of Blue Hose soccer.
- Pinto’s team leading four assists is tied for the second most assists in a single season in the Division I era.
- Pinto is now fourth in PC Division I era of soccer for career points with 21 following his assist tonight. Josh Carter who had 23 points from 2011-14 is next on the list.
- Behrend’s 1.08 goals against average is the single season record for the Division I era.
The Blue Hose travel to Radford on Wednesday to play the Highlanders at 7:00 p.m. PC and Radford have tied 1-1 each of their last two meetings, the 2016 Big South Semi-Finals and the 2017 regular season meeting at Martin Stadium. Overall Radford leads 7-2-2.