ROCK HILL, S.C. - Presbyterian College left-handed pitcher Hayden Deal tossed his first career complete game on Sunday, holding the Eagles to just one hit as PC completed its second straight sweep of Winthrop with a 3-1 victory at the Winthrop Ballpark in Rock Hill, S.C. PC improves to 18-16 overall and 6-3 in the Big South to move in to second place in the league standings.
How It Happened
PC got on the board first with a run in the top of the second. AJ Priaulx and Nick Wise led off the inning with back-to-back singles to put two aboard, before TJ Richardson moved up both runners with a sac bunt. After a walk loaded the bases, a sac fly by Connor Slagill scored Priaulx from third to make it a 1-0 PC lead.
After Deal retired 10 straight and 12 of the first 13 batters he faced, Winthrop managed its lone run and hit of the game in the fifth inning. A leadoff walk by Hunter Lipscomb put a man aboard with a sac bunt moving him to second. Grant English then singled up the middle to score Lipscomb to tie the game at 1-1.
The Blue Hose broke the 1-1 tie with two runs in the eighth. Glen Casaceli got the inning started with a one-out single to right and Tyler Weyenberg followed with an infield single to put two aboard with one out. Cletis Avery then came up big once again, singling to right to score Casaceli from second and give PC the lead. Priaulx then followed with an RBI single to plate Weyenberg and make it a 3-1 game.
Deal proved to be real today, facing just one over the minimum from fifth inning on with both base runners reaching on errors. He retired the final five batters of the game, including a 1-2-3 ninth inning to cap off the complete game performance and earn his third win of the season.
Pitchers of Record
Deal (3-3) earned the victory, allowing one run on one hit in the complete game outing with seven strikeouts against a lone walk.
Winthrop starter Colton Rendon (3-3) was tagged with the loss, allowing three runs on six hits 7.1 innings pitched in the series finale with a walk and three strikeouts.
Player of the Game
Hayden Deal turned in one of the best performances of his career with his first career complete game to help the Blue Hose sweep the Eagles. Deal worked in the zone all game, throwing 68 of 94 pitches for strikes with 24 first-pitch strikes to the 31 batters faced. Winthrop managed just five total base runners in the game and just one in the final four innings.
- AJ Priaulx turned in another multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 with a run and an RBI in the victory. Priaulx leads the team with a .340 average on the season and ties for the team-lead in RBIs with 21.
- Tyler Weyenberg went 2-for-3 with a run on the afternoon for his second two-hit game of the weekend.
- Cletis Avery gave PC the lead with an RBI single in the eighth to collect his only hit of the game, thus extending his hitting streak to 10 games.
- The Blue Hose completed its second straight sweep of Winthrop, after taking all three games in Clinton last season, to make it six straight wins against the fellow South Carolina program.
- PC pitching held Winthrop to six runs in the three-game series to the tune of a 1.93 ERA. Opposing hitters managed only a .170 average against the Blue Hose on the weekend.
PC will go for its fifth straight win this week, hosting Western Carolina at home on Tuesday with first pitch slated for 3 p.m. at the PC Baseball Complex.