Farmville, Va. – The Presbyterian College baseball team used the power of three home run balls in game two to give the Blue Hose a 13-11 win and a split of Friday’s doubleheader with Longwood at Buddy Bolding Stadium. The Lancers won game one by the count of 6-5.
Final Score Game One: Longwood 6, Presbyterian 5
Final Score Game Two: Presbyterian 13, Longwood 11
Location: Farmville, Va. (Buddy Boiling Stadium)
Records: Presbyterian (25-26, 13-10 Big South) | Longwood (11-37, 5-18 Big South)
WP: John Gregory (3-3) | LP: Johnny Cook (2-3)
WP: Austin Paradis (2-1) | LP: Josh Longabaugh (2-3) | Save: Reagan Fowler (1)
- Zacchaeus Rasberry had four hits and five RBIs for the Blue Hose in the twinbill including a home run and three stolen bases.
- Johnny Cook added three hits as did Jeremiah Boyd, while Hunter Grover and Jimmy Marcelli each had two hits apiece in the doubleheader.
- The Blue Hose hit five home runs in Friday’s doubleheader as Garrett Jones, Boyd, Jonathan White, Marcelli and Rasberry each hit a long ball for PC.
- Rasberry tied the team lead with his sixth home run of the season, while Marcelli picked up his fourth long ball.
- Boyd hit his third homer of the year with White adding his second and Jones hitting his first of the season.
- With his three stolen bases in game two, Rasberry tied for second in the D1 Single Season Record Book with 16 stolen bases on the year.
- Jones is hitting .471 with a double, triple and home run this week with three runs driven in. Cook is hitting .429 with a double and four RBIs in the four games this week.
- Austin Paradis matched his season-high tossing three innings in relief allowing one run and striking out three in game two.
- Eric Miles, in game one, recorded six strikeouts over 6.2 innings in a no-decision for the Blue Hose. His six strikeouts put him within two of tying for seventh in the Blue Hose D1 Career Record Book with 156 strikeouts in his career.
- Colton Springs came on in relief in game one for the 66th appearance of his Presbyterian career to move into a tie for fifth in PC’s D1 career record book for appearances.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME ONE
- Longwood got on the board in the second inning with a solo home run to take the 1-0 lead.
- The Blue Hose evened the game up in the fifth as Jones hit a solo shot to left.
- The Lancers responded in their half of the fifth with a pair of RBI singles to take a 3-1 lead.
- The hosts added an RBI double in the sixth to push their lead to 4-1.
- In the seventh, Rasberry lined a single to right center to score two and cut the Lancer lead to one, 4-3.
- Longwood added a run off of a Blue Hose error to stretch the lead out to 5-3.
- In the ninth, pinch hitter Jeremiah Boyd hit a two-run shot to even the game at five.
- Longwood gets an infield single to third base to walk-off the Blue Hose 6-5 in game one.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME TWO
- The hosts got on the board first in the opening inning with an RBI single to give the Lancers an early 1-0 lead.
- Longwood extended its lead in the second with a three-run home run to take a 4-0 lead after two innings.
- Presbyterian got on the board in the third inning with a two-run moonshot to left field off the bat of White that cut the Longwood lead in half at 4-2.
- The Lancers extended its lead in the third with a three-run and solo homerun to push the lead to 8-2 after three innings.
- In the fourth, PC plated four runs started by an RBI single from Boyd. He came around to score on a Lancer wild pitch to make it 8-4.
- White added a sacrifice fly before a ball thrown out of play by the Lancers allowed a second run to score on the play and make it 8-6 Longwood thru 3.5 innings.
- The hosts picked up an RBI double in the fourth to push it to 9-6 Lancers.
- In the fifth, Marcelli led the inning off with a solo home run before a three-run shot from Rasberry gave PC a 10-9 lead.
- Jones advanced the Blue Hose lead to 11-9 with an RBI single in the seventh before a Nick Guimbarda’s two-run triple gave the Blue Hose a 13-9 advantage.
- Longwood picked up an RBI single and sacrifice fly in the bottom of the ninth before Reagan Fowler slammed the door shut and helped PC earn the split of the doubleheader in a 13-11 decision.
- The series finale between the Blue Hose and Lancers is slated for 9 a.m. tomorrow morning. Stay tuned to @PresbyterianBSB and gobluehose.com for any updates on tomorrow's game with Longwood.