Spartanburg, S.C. – The Presbyterian College baseball team used a fast start to jump on host USC Upstate to earn an 8-0 victory on Friday night at Harley Park.
Final Score: Presbyterian 8, USC Upstate 0
Location: Spartanburg, S.C. (Cleveland S. Harley Baseball Park)
Records: Presbyterian (16-18, 8-5 Big South) | USC Upstate (16-18, 4-9 Big South)
WP: Eric Miles (5-2) | LP: Jordan Marks (3-5)
- Eric Miles was dominant once again as he tossed seven shutout innings while he scattered six hits and struck out seven Spartans to improve to 5-2 on the season.
- Miles earned his 18th career victory as he sits just three wins behind matching the D1 record for wins in a Blue Hose career.
- Presbyterian was led offensively by Zacchaeus Rasberry and Jimmy Marcelli as both had a pair of hits in the victory.
- Rasberry connected on his third home run of the season in the eighth inning. This was the sixth home run to lead off an inning this season. The Blue Hose are 4-2 in games they leadoff an inning with a homer.
- Presbyterian has hit home runs in five consecutive games by five different players that have resulted in five victories.
- Marcelli has a team-high five game hit streak with his two hits on Friday night.
- Jonathan White and Nick Guimbarda both extended their reached base streak to a team best 11 consecutive games.
- PC improved to 12-4 in games where they score first and are 10-4 in games when hitting one home run.
- Austin Paradis tossed two scoreless while striking out a career-high five to finish off the victory.
- The five game win streak is the longest since April 8-14 of 2015 when PC defeated Savannah State, South Carolina and swept UNC Asheville three straight games.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Presbyterian got on the board first in the second inning as the Spartans walked three Blue Hose batters, including a bases loaded situation to Andrew Livingston to make it 1-0.
- Zacchaeus Rasberry picked up an infield single and advanced to second on a Spartan error that scored two runs to give PC the 3-0 lead.
- The Blue Hose added a run in the third on a USC Upstate error to make it 4-0.
- In the fourth, PC plated a pair of runs with a Guimbarda sacrifice fly and Marcelli RBI groundout to give the Blue Hose a 6-0 lead.
- Presbyterian opened the eighth inning with Rasberry’s third home run of the season to push the lead to 7-0.
- PC added one final run in the eighth on a fielder’s choice off the bat of White to give PC an 8-0 victory.
- The Blue Hose continue their three game series with USC Upstate on Saturday afternoon with a doubleheader set to begin at 2 p.m. in Spartanburg.