Macon, Ga. – The Presbyterian College men’s soccer team dropped a 2-1 game to Mercer on Monday night at Betts Stadium. Valentin Kliebe kept it a one-goal game for the Blue Hose with three big saves in the final 10 minutes after Luca Ziegler cut into the Bears’ lead with a 78th minute goal.
Final Score: PC 1 – Mercer 2
Location: Macon, Ga. (Betts Field)
Records: Presbyterian (0-2); Mercer (2-0)
- Martineau scored in the 40th minute with a diving header off an assist from Michael Ille (1-0).
- Gideon extended the lead in the 48th minute (2-0) with a low shot from just inside the 18 yard box.
- Luca Ziegler caught the Mercer defense unprepared and placed a free kick into a wide open net in the 78th minute (2-1).
By The Numbers
- Shots were tied at 12 apiece, but Mercer had the edge in shots on goal, 8-3.
- PC held a 6-2 advantage in corners.
- The teams combined for 22 fouls and four yellow cards.
- Junior Luca Ziegler scored his first collegiate goal after collecting four assists last season.
- Valentin Kliebe collected a season-high six saves in his second start for PC.
- Senior Ricardo Hernandez played in his 62nd career game with PC, moving into sole possession of 10th place in PC’s DI era.
Presbyterian College has rescheduled its game with the College of Charleston to be a home game on Friday, September 6, beginning at 4:00 pm.