Fayetteville, N.C. – The Presbyterian College baseball team rallied from an early 3-0 deficit before ultimately falling to Winthrop 12-5 on Thursday morning at SEGRA Stadium in Big South tournament action. PC will face High Point at 4 p.m. in an elimination game.
Final Score: Winthrop 12, Presbyterian 5
Location: Fayetteville, N.C. (SEGRA Stadium)
Records: Presbyterian (30-28) | Winthrop (33-21)
WP: Nate Pawelczyk (9-4) | LP: Jackson Dean (6-5)
- Ashby Smith paced the Blue Hose with a pair of hits, including his fifth home run of the season and his 13th double.
- Matt Burke hit his second home run of the season.
- Zacchaeus Rasberry swiped his team-high 23rd base of the season.
- The home runs by Smith and Burke gave the Blue Hose their seventh multi home run game of the season.
- Smith picked up his 11th multi-hit game of the year.
- Burke with had his second career multiple RBI game and it was his first three RBI game of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Winthrop got on the board in the opening inning with a three-run home run to take an early 3-0 lead.
- Presbyterian answered in the second with an RBI single from White to cut the Eagles lead to 3-1.
- Burke gave the Blue Hose a lead with a three-run home run to make it 4-3 Presbyterian after 1.5 innings.
- In the fourth, the Eagles regained the lead with a two-run home run to give Winthrop a 5-4 lead.
- The Blue Hose evened the game up at five the next half inning with a Smith home run.
- Winthrop regained the lead in its half of the fifth as it took advantage of a Blue Hose error to give the Eagles a 6-5 lead.
- The Eagles added three runs in the sixth to push their lead to 9-5.
- Winthrop added a two-run home run in the seventh to ultimately push the lead out to 12-5 which led the Eagles to the victory on Thursday morning.
- The Blue Hose now move onto face High Point in an elimination game at 4 p.m. on Thursday afternoon at SEGRA Stadium.