CLINTON, S.C. – The Presbyterian College baseball team hits the road once again for a Big South weekend series with Longwood beginning on Friday afternoon at 12 p.m. as the Blue Hose will play a doubleheader with the Lancers. The two teams will conclude the series on Saturday with a start time to be determined.
WHAT: Presbyterian (24-25, 12-9 Big South) at Longwood (10-36, 4-17 Big South)
WHERE: Farmville, Va. (Buddy Boiling Stadium)
WHEN: Friday May 10 (12:00 p.m.) | Friday May 10 (4:00 p.m.) | Saturday May 11 (TBA)
THE SERIES (Since 2008): PC Leads 8-7
ON THE MOUND
Friday Game One
PC – RHP Eric Miles (6-3, 3.96 ERA, 63 K)
LW – LHP Andrew Melnyk (0-4, 6.43 ERA, 39 K)
Friday Game Two
PC – RHP Grayson Stoneking (1-4, 5.97 ERA, 19 K)
LW – TBA
PC – RHP Jackson Dean (4-4, 3.25 ERA, 37 K)
LW – TBA
About the Blue Hose
• The Presbyterian College baseball team used a season-high 17 hits to help lead the Blue Hose to a 13-4 victory over the host Georgia State at the GSU Baseball Complex on Wednesday night. The night before The Presbyterian College baseball team used a two-run home run from Jimmy Marcelli to help propel the Blue Hose to an 8-7 win on Tuesday night against Clemson at Doug Kingsmore Stadium.
• Garrett Jones led the offense going 6-for-9 (.667) with a double and a triple in the two midweek victories. Johnny Cook went 3-for-6 (.500) with three walks and four runs driven in.
• Clark Dearman tossed 4.1 innings of relief on Tuesday to earn the victory while Matt Norton tossed 4.0 innings in a start to earn his second win of the year.
• Johnny Cook leads the Blue Hose after the last five games with a .412 average including a team-high eight runs driven in.
• Cook has tossed 7.2 innings of scoreless baseball over his last four relief appearances.
• Nick Guimbarda is hitting .310 in his last ten games including five doubles and six RBIs.
• PC is 11-6 in one-run games and 18-7 in games where they score first.
• Presbyterian is 14-3 in games that it scores at least six runs.
• The Blue Hose are 19-1 when leading after eight innings this season.
• The Blue Hose hold an 8-7 lead against Longwood dating back to the 2008 season as PC picked up a two-of-three series win against the Lancers last season.
• Nick Guimbarda hit .308 with a double last year against the Lancers. Michael Varga was 2-for-6 in the series a season ago.
• Eric Miles tossed 7.0 innings allowing three runs and struck out four last year. Colton Springs earned a win and a save in relief while striking out seven.
• Longwood enters the weekend with a 10-36 record after dropping a pair of contests against Navy. The Lancers were swept by USC Upstate in their last Big South series.
• Carlos Garrido leads the Lancers with a .310 average including nine doubles and 22 RBIs. Jacob Mitchell leads Longwood with seven home runs.
• Tyler Morgan leads the Lancer pitching staff with a 2-6 record to go along with a 3.83 ERA. Morgan has 71 strikeouts in 56.1 innings.
• Zacchaeus Rasberry is tied for first in the Big South with 59 hits and Jimmy Marcelli is tied for third with 58 hits. Nick Guimbmarda is ninth with 54 hits.
• Guimbarda leads the Big South with 16 doubles. Marcelli is seventh with 12 doubles.
• Rasberry leads the league with four triples.
• Marcelli is fourth in the Big South with 39 runs driven in.
• Guimbarda is sixth with 90 total bases while Rasberry is seventh with 87 total bases on the season.
• Jonathan White leads the Big South with 14 hit by pitches.
• Rasberry is eighth in the league with 13 stolen bases.
• Eric Miles leads the Big South with 72.2 innings pitched on the season as he also it tied for first with a pair of complete games.
• Miles is third in the league with six wins. He is also fifth in the conference with 63 strikeouts.
• With his next win, Eric Miles would tie the single season record for most wins by a pitcher in the Blue Hose D1 era. He would match a mark he set in 2017 and Chandler Knox hit during the 2014 season.
• Eric Miles is just two wins away from matching the Presbyterian D1 record for wins with 21 victories. Miles currently has 19 wins over his two and a half seasons as a Blue Hose.
• Miles needs nine more strikeouts to move into seventh place in PC's D1 record book for career strikeouts. Miles currently has 150 punch outs in his Blue Hose career.
• Nick Guimbarda next double moves him into a tie for third in the program’s D1 record book with his 43nd career double.
• Guimbarda needs three more home runs to move into a tie for fourth place in the program’s D1 record book for career home runs. Guimbarda has 16 homers after his home run in Friday’s series opener against UNC Asheville.
• Colton Springs with his next save would move into solo fourth in the program’s D1 record book with his seventh career save. Springs with his next save also takes sole possession of eighth in the Blue Hose career record book.
Blue Hose In The Minors
• Hayden Deal is currently 2-2 with a 1.29 ERA over six starts with the Florida Firefrogs, the advanced A affiliate of the Atlanta Braves. Deal has struck out 31 batters over 35.0 innings. In his minor league career, Deal is 14-5 with a 2.18 ERA and four saves. He has 140 career strikeouts in 144.1 innings.
• Bud Jeter is 1-1 with a 6.28 ERA over nine appearances with the Jackson Generals, the double A affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks. He has thrown 14.1 innings on the year with 11 strikeouts including a season-high four on two separate occasions most recently on April 19th against Tennessee.
• The Blue Hose return home for the final time during the 2019 season to face Georgia State for senior day on Tuesday. First pitch with the Panthers is set for 3 p.m. as we will honor Chase Blueberg, Nick Guimbarda, Jackson Dean, Jonathan White, Michael Varga and Colton Springs prior to first pitch.