Clinton, S.C. – The Presbyterian College baseball team was unable to overcome a home run by Winthrop in the sixth inning as the Eagles earned a 5-3 win on Friday afternoon to open the three-game series at the PC Baseball Complex.
Final Score: Winthrop 5, Presbyterian 3
Location: Clinton, S.C. (PC Baseball Complex)
Records: Presbyterian (21-24, 11-8 Big South) | Winthrop (26-16, 13-6 Big South)
WP: Zach Peek (6-2) | LP: Eric Miles (6-3) | Save: Colten Rendon (5)
- Zacchaeus Rasberry extended his reached base streak to a team-high 13 consecutive games with his fifth inning single.
- Matt Burke opened the game on Friday with his second double of the season. Burke has hits in four of his last five games.
- Ashby Smith with his fourth inning single now has hits in five straight games for the Blue Hose.
- Johnny Cook tossed three scoreless innings in relief to match his longest outing of the year without allowing an earned run. He also tossed 3.0 scoreless frames against Wofford on March 6th. Cook added an RBI single in the fourth which evened the game up at three at the time.
- With his six innings pitched, Eric Miles moved into sixth place in Presbyterian’s Division One Record book with 201.2 innings pitched in his career.
- Miles with his two successful pickoff attempts in the contest moved into sole possession of second place in PC’s Division One Record Book with eight runners picked off.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Blue Hose scored first in the bottom half of the first inning, as following a double off the bat of Burke, he moved to third on a ground out and was able to come in and score on a Winthrop wild pitch to give PC the 1-0 lead.
- Winthrop got on the board in the third with a pair of RBI singles and RBI ground out to take a 3-1 lead.
- PC answered in the fourth with Jimmy Marcelli picking up his team leading 34th RBI on a ground out to third. Cook added an RBI single in the frame that evened the score up at three runs apiece.
- In the sixth, Winthrop retook the lead as Grant English hit a two-run home run to right field that gave the guests a 5-3 lead they would not relinquish the rest of the afternoon.
- UPDATE: Due to expected rain on Sunday, the two teams will play a doubleheader beginning at 11 a.m. at the PC Baseball Complex. Be sure to follow @PresbyterianBSB for any further updates on the weekend schedule.