Clinton, S.C. – The Presbyterian College baseball team used a three-run homer from freshman Ashby Smith to help push the Blue Hose to a 7-2 victory over UNC Asheville and complete a three-game Big South series sweep.
Final Score: Presbyterian 7, UNC Asheville 2
Location: Clinton, S.C. (PC Baseball Complex)
Records: Presbyterian (14-18, 7-5 Big South) | UNC Asheville (11-19, 6-6 Big South)
WP: Reagan Fowler (3-4) | LP: Greg Gasparro (1-5)
- The Blue Hose were paced by Ashby Smith and Zacchaeus Rasberry as both had three hit games on Sunday. Smith hit his first career home run in the seventh inning.
- Johnny Cook and Nick Guimbarda each added a pair of hits to the stat line. Guimbarda added his team leading 11th double of the season.
- Reagan Fowler tossed 6.1 innings with seven strikeouts and allowed only one unearned run to pick up his third win of the season. Fowler in league play is 3-1 with a 2.53 ERA and 25 strikeouts.
- Cook extended his hit streak to a team-high eight straight games with his two hits. Cook finished the series 5-for-9.
- Jonathan White and Nick Guimbarda both pushed their reached base streaks to nine games in a row.
- In the series, the Blue Hose had a team ERA of 1.33 with 24 strikeouts and only five walks.
- The sweep is the first for the Blue Hose since May 2017 when PC took three in a row from Charleston Southern in Charleston. It’s the first home sweep since April 2016 when the Blue Hose swept Winthrop at the PC Baseball Complex.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UNC Asheville got on the board first in the third inning with an RBI single as the Bulldogs took advantage of a Blue Hose error to take the 1-0 lead.
- PC got on the board in the fourth courtesy of a bases loaded walk from Michael Varga to even the game at one.
- Guimbarda gave the Blue Hose the lead in the fifth with an RBI double to right field that scored Rasberry and pushed the lead to 2-1.
- In the seventh, Presbyterian pushed across a run on a fielder’s choice that scored Cook to make it 3-1 before Smith cranked a three run shot to left to give the Blue Hose a 6-1 lead.
- Cook tacked on a run in the eighth with an RBI single to make it 7-1.
- UNC Asheville plated one run in the ninth but Matt Norton came in and shut the game down to help give PC the three game sweep.
- The Blue Hose head over to Spartanburg for a midweek matchup with Wofford on Wednesday night at 6 p.m. as PC looks for a three-game sweep of the Terriers in 2019. Presbyterian earned a pair of 5-4 victories at home over Wofford earlier this season.