Radford, Va. – The Presbyterian College men’s tennis team battled Radford on Sunday and earned a 5-2 triumph over the Highlanders. The Blue Hose are now 4-3 against Big South competition, 12-13 for the 2018-19 season.
The Blue Hose earned the match’s doubles point with wins on courts two and three. Jaime Castillo-Lopez and Max Benson picked up the first victory of the day for PC. Alberto Conde and Vance Mercer were able to secure the point with a win in a tiebreaker on court three.
In singles action, Benson, Castillo-Lopez, and Conde were all able to win their second match of the day. Benson grabbed a straight-set victory, with the second set going to a tiebreaker, on court two to make the score 2-1 in favor of the Blue Hose. After Radford evened the match at 2-2, PC rattled off three straight wins to take the match. Oscar Alvarez on court three, Castillo-Lopez on court four, and Conde on court five all won three-set thrillers. Each of the final sets in all three matches went to tiebreakers, with the Blue Hose coming out on top all three times.
Full results of the match can be found below:
1. Yevhen Sirous (RADM) def. STENGER, Daniel (PC) 6-4, 6-2
2. BENSON, Max (PC) def. Rodrigo Magalhaes (RADM) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
3. ALVAREZ, Oscar (PC) def. Alexandros Caldwell (RADM) 6-2, 1-6, 7-6 (7-5)
4. CASTILLO-LOPEZ, J. (PC) def. Michiel Meekers (RADM) 7-5, 1-6, 7-6 (7-1)
5. CONDE, Alberto (PC) def. Matko Varga (RADM) 3-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Andres Silva (RADM) def. BEDARD, Jonathan (PC) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
1. Yevhen Sirous/Rodrigo Magalhaes (RADM) def. ALVAREZ, Oscar/STENGER, Daniel (PC) 6-4
2. BENSON, Max/CASTILLO-LOPEZ, J. (PC) def. Alexandros Caldwell/Michiel Meekers (RADM) 6-2
3. CONDE, Alberto/MERCER, Vance (PC) def. Matko Varga/Andres Silva (RADM) 7-6 (7-5)
The Blue Hose will conclude regular season play on Thursday when they host Winthrop. That match is scheduled to begin at 2:00 p.m.