Asheville, N.C. – The Presbyterian College men’s tennis team dropped a tightly-contested match on Wednesday afternoon at UNC Asheville, 4-3. The loss moves the Blue Hose to 3-3 in Big South play, 11-13 overall for the 2018-19 season.
The Blue Hose were able to grab the doubles point from the Bulldogs and take an early 1-0 lead in the match. Asheville’s number one pairing retired, giving Daniel Stenger and Oscar Alvarez the victory. Alberto Conde and Vance Mercer were able to secure the point on court three with a 7-5 win.
Max Benson picked up a straight set win against his opponent in singles play on court two. Alvarez would earn his second win of the afternoon on court three by winning a three-set thriller. Conde and Jonathan Bedard dropped three-set bouts on courts five and six, respectively.
Full results of the match can be found below:
1. NOLAN, Oli (AVLM) def. STENGER, Daniel (PC) 6-4, 6-4
2. BENSON, Max (PC) def. DAOSAENGSAWANG, S. (AVLM) 6-2, 6-3
3. ALVAREZ, Oscar (PC) def. CULL, Olly (AVLM) 7-5, 3-6, 6-4
4. MORKEL, Charlie (AVLM) def. CASTILLO-LOPEZ, J. (PC) 7-5, 7-6
5. BIERBAUM, Leo (AVLM) def. CONDE, Alberto (PC) 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
6. FENDER, Quinn (AVLM) def. BEDARD, Jonathan (PC) 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
1. STENGER, Daniel/ALVAREZ, Oscar (PC) def. PATTEN, Henry/CULL, Olly (AVLM) retired
2. NOLAN, Oli/DAOSAENGSAWANG, S. (AVLM) def. BENSON, Max/CASTILLO-LOPEZ, J. (PC) 6-0
3. CONDE, Alberto/MERCER, Vance (PC) def. FENDER, Quinn/MORKEL, Charlie (AVLM) 7-5
The Blue Hose will return to action on Sunday when they travel to Radford to take on the Highlanders. That match is scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m.