Clinton, S.C. – The Presbyterian College baseball team earned a pair of 5-4 victories over Brown on opening day at the PC Baseball Complex on Saturday afternoon.
Final Score Game One: Presbyterian 5, Brown 4
Final Score Game Two: Presbyterian 5, Brown 4
Location: Clinton, S.C. (PC Baseball Complex)
Records: Presbyterian (4-5) | Brown (0-5)
WP: Colton Springs (1-0) | LP: JJ Sliepka (0-1)
WP: Jackson Dean (1-1) | LP: Will Tomlinson (0-1) | Save: Johnny Cook (1)
- Zacchaeus Rasberry led the Blue Hose offense with four hits on Saturday including a game-tying RBI single in game two.
- Nick Guimbarda went 3-for-6 with a pair of doubles and Jimmy Marcelli added his first career home home run as a Blue Hose in game one.
- In game one, Andrew Durden came in relief and fired three scoreless innings while striking out a career-high five to help lead PC to a victory.
- In game two, Johnny Cook came in and shut the door on the Bears with three strikeouts and his first career save.
- Marcelli and Rasberry both extended hit streaks to nine in a row on Saturday.
- Marcelli had his seventh multi-hit game of the season in game one.
- Saturday’s sweep is the first doubleheader sweep for the Blue Hose since 5/14/17 when PC defeated Charleston Southern in a pair of contests.
- Game one’s victory was the first walk off win for the Blue Hose since 5/12/18 when Colton Chapman hit a walk off homer in the bottom of the 11th against Longwood.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME ONE
- The Blue Hose got out to a quick start as Guimbarda stole third in the first and came into score after a Brown error on the play to take an early 1-0 lead.
- Brown equaled it back up at one in the third on a PC wild pitch.
- Presbyterian retook the lead in the bottom half of the inning with an RBI groundout by Jonathan White that scored Hunter Grover and make it 2-1 PC.
- In the fourth, Brown retook the lead with a bases loaded hit by pitch and an RBI single to give the Bears a 3-2 advantage.
- Marcelli tied the game up once again in the home half of the fifth with his first home run of the season to deep left field.
- Brown in the top of the ninth took a 4-3 lead off of a PC wild pitch which set the stage for the Blue Hose.
- Tannor Byrd and Garrett Jones both reached on a pair of Brown errors to open the inning with runners on second and third and no outs.
- Following Guimbarda being intentionally walked to load the bases, Marcelli unloaded on a pitch to left field that scored Byrd to tie the game at four.
- After White was hit by a pitch, Graham Mitchell lined a 3-1 single back up the middle to score Guimbarda and give PC a 5-4 win.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME TWO
- The Bears got the offense going in the opening inning with an RBI double down the left field line that gave them an early 1-0 lead.
- PC responded with a pair of runs off of a Marcelli RBI single and he eventually came around to score on a Brown wild pitch.
- Jeremiah Boyd, in the second, added to the lead with an RBI single to make it 3-1 PC.
- In the sixth, Brown tied it up at three with a pair of RBI groundouts.
- PC answered with RBI singles in its half of the sixth off the bats of Rasberry and Guimbarda to give the Blue Hose a 5-3 lead.
- Brown picked up a solo home run in the top of the eighth but got no closer as Johnny Cook came in to shut the door with three strikeouts and the save.
- PC concludes its series with Brown tomorrow as the game has been pushed up to 11 a.m. due to impending weather in the area.
- The Blue Hose have also added a game on 3/6 at home against Wofford with first pitch scheduled for 2 p.m.