SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The Presbyterian College baseball team used 11 hits and a strong outing from starter Tanner Chock to overpower the Wofford Terriers, 9-2, on Sunday afternoon at Russell C. King Field in Spartanburg, S.C. PC improves to 3-6 on the year, while the Terriers drop to 3-4.
How It Happened
The Blue Hose got the scoring started with a run in the second. AJ Priaulx led off the inning with a double to right and TJ Richardson followed with a single to right to put runners on the corners. Priaulx scored a few pitches later on a wild pitch to give PC a 1-0 lead.
PC added to its lead with two runs in the third. Jonathan White drew a one-out and moved to second on a wild pitch. Nick Wise doubled to right to score him to make it 2-0. Wise made it to third on a wild pitch and Jack McLaughlin brought him in with an RBI groundout to first to push it to 3-0.
Meanwhile, PC starter Tanner Chock was dealing in his first start of the season. The righty retired 10 straight Terriers between the first and fourth innings, did not allow a hit until the fifth and faced just three above the minimum through the fifth.
The Blue Hose extended its lead with four runs in the sixth, all coming with two outs. Richardson was hit a by pitch to start the inning but back-to-back strikeouts made it two outs. Colton Chapman then singled to left to put runners at first and second and Guy Casaceli doubled down the right field line to score Richardson and put two in scoring position. Jonathan White then drove one out deep to left for his first home run of the season, a three-run homer that made 7-0 PC.
Wofford finally broke through with two runs in the bottom of the sixth. McClain Bradley singled through the right side and Mack Nathanson doubled to center to put two aboard with one out. Cody Miller doubled to score both runners cut the PC lead to 7-2.
PC tacked on one in the eighth and one in the ninth. Thatcher Coleman hit a solo home run to left center, his first of the season, to make it an 8-2 PC lead in the eighth. In the ninth, McLaughlin singled to center and moved to second on a wild pitch and Priaulx drove him in with a doubled to left center to push the score to 9-2.
Pitchers of Record
PC starter Tanner Chock (1-0) earned the victory in his first start of the season, allowing just two runs on four hits in 6.0 innings of work with eight strikeouts against one walk.
Wofford starter Grant Byers (0-1) suffered the loss, allowing three runs on three hits 3.2 innings pitched with one walk against four strikeouts.
PC Player of the Game
AJ Priaulx went 3-for-5 with two doubles, a run and an RBI to lead the Blue Hose at the plate. The lefty doubled in the second and later scored, singled in the seventh and the doubled in PC’s final run of the game in the ninth. It was his first three-hit game of the season and his team-high fifth multi-hit game.
- Jack McLaughlin was 2-for-5 with an RBI and a run for his second multi-hit game of the season.
- Jonathan White hit his first home run of the season with a three-run homer in the sixth inning. The infielder finished 1-for-4 with two runs and three RBIs.
- Thatcher Coleman also homered for the first time this season with a solo homer to left center in the eighth.
- Ryan Hedrick made his first appearance of the season on the mound, tossing a scoreless eighth inning and allowing just one hit with one strikeout.
- The PC bullpen allowed just base runner in 3.0 innings of work. Maxx Harpalani retired all three batters he faced in the seventh with one strikeout, Hedrick retired three of the four he faced in the eighth and Will Smith recorded a 1-2-3 ninth inning with one strikeout.
PC returns home on Tuesday, hosting USC Upstate at 2 p.m. at the PC Baseball Complex in Clinton, S.C.