CLINTON, S.C. – The Presbyterian College men’s tennis fell to College of Charleston, 6-1, on Saturday afernoon in Charleston, S.C. The later match against The Citadel, scheduled for 6 p.m., was cancelled.
The Cougars opened the match by taking the three doubles matches for a 1-0 lead. College of Charleston’s Rodrigo Encinas and Juan Estevarena defeated Kelley and Roberts, 6-3, at No. 1, while taking the matches on courts two and three by 6-3 as well.
In singles, CofC continued its strong play with wins on five of the six courts. Diego Manzanas claimed the lone point for PC with a three-set win at No. 3. College of Charleston’s Charlie Ghriskey captured the opening set, 6-4, but Manzanas took a close second set, 7-6, before winning the third set in tiebreaker format, 10-7.
Alejandro Bejar played a competitive match at No. 1, dropping the opening set 6-4 but responding by taking the second 7-6. CofC’s Estevarena came out on top by taking the tiebreaker set, 10-6. Ben Kelley found himself in another three-set match at No. 6 against Ryan Khan. Kelley claimed the opening frame, 6-2, before Khan countered by winning the second, 6-4. In the closest third set of the day, Khan held off Kelley, 10-8, to take the match.
PC returns to action on Thursday, February 18, against Gardner-Webb at 2 p.m. in its first conference match of the season.
Col. of Charleston 6, Presbyterian 1
1. Juan Estevarena (CofC) def. BEJAR,Alejandro (PC) 6-4, 6-7, 10-6
2. Zack Lewis (CofC) def. BRUCE,Danny (PC) 6-1, 6-1
3. MANZANAS,Diego (PC) def. Charlie Ghriskey (CofC) 4-6, 7-6, 10-7
4. Rodrigo Encinas (CofC) def. MILLS,Brandon (PC) 7-5, 6-3
5. Vasily Kichigin (CofC) def. ROBERTS,Joel (PC) 6-0, 7-6
6. Ryan Khan (CofC) def. KELLEY,Ben (PC) 2-6, 6-4, 10-8
1. Juan Estevarena/Rodrigo Encinas (CofC) def. KELLEY,Ben/ROBERTS,Joel (PC) 6-3
2. Zack Lewis/Charlie Ghriskey (CofC) def. MILLS,Brandon/BRUCE,Danny (PC) 6-3
3. Josh Record/Vasily Kichigin (CofC) def. MANZANAS,Diego/BAIRD,Will (PC) 6-3