BOILING SPRINGS, N.C. – The Presbyterian College men’s tennis team dispatched the UNC Asheville Bulldogs in the quarterfinal round of the Big South Conference Men’s Tennis Championship presented by Musco Lighting at the campus of Gardner-Webb, 4-0.
PC improves to 25-6 and will face No. 4 Campbell on Thursday at 10 a.m. in the semifinals. UNC Asheville sees its season end at 7-15.
The Blue Hose made quick work of Asheville in doubles action to take the early lead. Grayson Mills (Lilburn, Ga.) and Diego Manzanas (Madrid, Spain) took down Daniel Kripak and Josh Swindler at the third flight, 8-2, while Ryan Miller (Norcross, Ga.) and Ben Kelley (Weaverville, N.C.) dispatched Will Goldberg and Thomas Panoulas at the second flight, 8-3.
Gonzalo Asis (Madrid, Spain) extended PC’s lead from the sixth flight with a decisive 6-3, 6-2 victory over will Goldberg. Danny Bruce (Marietta, Ga.) followed by knocking off Thomas Panoulas at the third flight in a convincing 6-3, 6-2 result.
Kelley sealed the dual match win at No. 4 by taking down Brett Landau in a three-set decision. The freshman grabbed the first and third sets to top the Bulldog, 6-4, 4-6, 6-0.
In three unfinished matches, Mills need one game to win over Daniel Kripak at No. 1 while Manzanas had forced a third set that ended 3-3. Joel Roberts (Summerville, S.C.) had taken a 6-5 lead in the second set after dropping the opening set.
1. MILLS, Grayson (PCM) vs. KRIPAK, Daniel (ASHM) 6-3, 6-5, unfinished
2. ROBERTS, Joel (PCM) vs. CROKER, Alex (ASHM) 3-6, 6-5, unfinished
3. BRUCE, Danny (PCM) def. PANOULAS, Thomas (ASHM) 6-3, 6-2
4. KELLEY, Ben (PCM) def. LANDAU, Brett (ASHM) 6-4, 4-6, 6-0
5. MANZANAS, Diego (PCM) vs. SWINDLER, Josh (ASHM) 2-6, 6-2, 3-4, unfinished
6. ASIS, Gonzalo (PCM) def. GOLDBERG, Will (ASHM) 6-3, 6-2
1. BERGHAUS, Rafael/ROBERTS, Joel (PCM) vs. CROKER, Alex/LANDAU, Brett (ASHM) 6-5, unfinished
2. KELLEY, Ben/MILLER, Ryan (PCM) def. SWINDLER, Josh/KRIPAK, Daniel (ASHM) 8-3
3. MILLS, Grayson/MANZANAS, Diego (PCM) def. GOLDBERG, Will/PANOULAS, Thomas (ASHM) 8-2