Men's Tennis Takes Down Radford in Big South Opener, 5-2
CLINTON, S.C. – The Presbyterian College men’s tennis team swept doubles play and picked up four hard-fought victories in singles play to win its Big South Conference opener against the Radford Highlanders at the Templeton Tennis Courts on Saturday afternoon, 5-2.
PC improves to 8-1 and 1-0 in Big South Conference play. The Blue Hose will next host Furman on Tuesday afternoon at 2 p.m. A free adult tennis clinic will follow the match and free pizza will also be available. Radford moves to 0-3 and 0-1 in the Big South.
The win marks PC’s first-ever against the six-time Big South Conference champions.
The Blue Hose wasted little time in doubles play, picking up two decisive wins before coming back to take the third. Diego Manzanas (Madrid, Spain) and Grayson Mills (Lilburn, Ga.) got things started with an 8-1 win at the third flight over Joe Mills and Nico Ascarrunz, 8-1. PC clinched the point at No. 2 with the freshman duo of Ben Kelley (Weaverville, N.C.) and Ryan Miller (Norcross, Ga.) knocking off Javier Waase and Janken Thoen, 8-3.
PC needed to win three singles matches to clinch the dual match and completed the task in four. After O’Keefe won at the second flight, the Blue Hose retook the lead with a sixth-flight win as Gonzalo Asis (Madrid, Spain) handled Aymeric Autones, 6-4, 6-4.
Asis’s win put PC ahead 2-1 and the home side extended the lead at the top flight. Grayson Mills found himself matched up with 2012 Big South Player of the Year Nicholas Sayer and the hard-charging Mills won in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4.
The freshman Roberts then clinched the result for the Blue Hose at the fourth flight, gutting out a victory in straight sets over Ascarrunz, 7-6, 6-4.
Miller padded PC’s advantage at the fifth flight with a thrilling three-set result over Janken Thoen, 3-6, 6-3, 6-1, while Radford picked up a final win at No. 5 with Joe Mills’s 6-4, 4-6, 10-4 decision over Kelley.
1. MILLS, Grayson (PCM) def. SAYER, Nicholas (RAD) 6-4, 6-4
2. O'KEEFE, Patrick (RAD) def. BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) 6-4, 6-2
3. ROBERTS, Joel (PCM) def. ASCARRUNZ, Nico (RAD) 7-6, 6-4
4. MILLER, Ryan (PCM) def. THOEN, Janken (RAD) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
5. MILLS, Joe (RAD) def. KELLEY, Ben (PCM) 6-4, 4-6, 10-4
6. ASIS, Gonzalo (PCM) def. AUTONES, Aymeric (RAD) 6-4, 6-4
1. BERGHAUS, Rafael/ROBERTS, Joel (PCM) def. SAYER, Nicholas/O'KEEFE, Patrick (RAD) 8-5
2. KELLEY, Ben/MILLER, Ryan (PCM) def. WAASE, Javier/THOEN, Janken (RAD) 8-3
3. MANZANAS, Diego/MILLS, Grayson (PCM) def. MILLS, Joe/ASCARRUNZ, Nico (RAD) 8-1