Men's Tennis Keeps Up Winning Ways over Richmond, Davidson
DAVIDSON, N.C. – The Presbyterian College men’s tennis team grabbed a pair of victories on Saturday at Davidson when the Blue Hose downed Richmond, 4-2, before taking another match from the host Wildcats, 5-2.
PC finishes the day at 7-1 and will return home to host Radford on Saturday at 1 p.m. in the team’s Big South Conference opener. The match marks the first of a four-match homestand for the Blue Hose.
PC 4, Richmond 2
The day began with a strong 4-2 win over the Richmond Spiders.
Using the “simultaneous play” format, PC used a lone doubles match to earn two crucial points. Ryan Miller (Norcross, Ga.) and Ben Kelley (Weaverville, N.C.) went up against Dylan Trent and Jonathan Quenard and used three sets to squash the Spiders in a 6-2, 4-6, 6-2 result to put PC ahead early.
In singles action, PC used the third and fourth flights to seal the win. Ethan Dunbar needed three sets to knock off Grayson Mills (Lilburn, Ga.) at the top flight, 6-1, 3-6, 6-1, while Jacob Dunbar took a match at No. 2 over Rafael Berghaus (Offenbach, Germnay), 6-1, 6-1. The wins evened the dual match at 2-2, setting up the final two.
At the third flight, Joel Roberts (Summerville, S.C.) gutted out a big win over Alex Hahn in a 7-6, 7-6 decision. Diego Manzanas (Madrid, Spain) then sealed the team victory with a 6-2, 6-4 fourth-flight win over Canyon Teague, using an ace to win the day.
1. Ethan Dunbar (RICH) def. MILLS, Grayson (PCM) 6-1, 3-6, 6-1
2. Jacob Dunbar (RICH) def. BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) 6-1, 6-1
3. ROBERTS, Joel (PCM) def. Alex Hahn (RICH) 7-6, 7-6
4. MANZANAS, Diego (PCM) def. Canyon Teague (RICH) 6-2, 6-4
5. ASIS, Gonzalo (PCM) vs. Noah Fenton (RICH) 7-6, unfinished
6. WEAVER, Steven (PCM) vs. Stathi Kyriakides (RICH) unfinished
1. MILLER, Ryan/KELLEY, Ben (PCM) def. Dylan Trent/Jonathan Quenard (RICH) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
PC 5, Davidson 2
The Blue Hose then returned to the traditional college format in a 5-2 win over the host Davidson Wildcats.
Davidson won doubles play to put the ball in PC’s proverbial court for singles action. The Blue Hose responded with five singles wins, beginning at the top flight as Mills rolled over Robert Lightbourn, 6-2, 6-0.
Berghaus followed at the second flight with a decisive 6-1, 6-2 win over Evan Watkins. A pair of straight-set wins also added to PC’s total at the No. 5 and No. 6 flights. Kelley topped Jordan Hart at the fifth flight, 6-3, 6-5, while Manzanas cleaned up over Alex Howard at the sixth flight, 6-3, 6-1.
Miller pushed past Ethan Kallick at No. 4 in three sets to make it a 5-2 to score in a 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 result.
1. MILLS, Grayson (PCM) def. Robert Lightbourn (DAV) 6-2, 6-0
2. BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) def. Evan Watkins (DAV) 6-1, 6-2
3. Connor Evins (DAV) def. ROBERTS, Joel (PCM) 6-5 (7-3), 6-2
4. MILLER, Ryan (PCM) def. Ethan Kallick (DAV) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
5. KELLEY, Ben (PCM) def. Jordan Hart (DAV) 6-3, 6-5
6. MANZANAS, Diego (PCM) def. Alex Howard (DAV) 6-3, 6-1
1. Zack Zapatero/Ethan Kallick (DAV) def. MILLS, Grayson/BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) 6-2
2. Evan Watkins/Ricky Saad (DAV) def. ROBERTS, Joel/MILLER, Ryan (PCM) 6-5 (7-3)
3. Connor Evins/Alex Howard (DAV) vs. MANZANAS, Diego/KELLEY, Ben (PCM) 5-5, unfinished