CHARLESTON, S.C. – The Presbyterian College men’s tennis team squared off against The Citadel in a Saturday doubleheader and cruised past the Bulldogs twice, winning 7-0 and 6-1 with a slew of decisive victories.
PC improves to 4-1 after fall victories over Coker and North Greenville. The Blue Hose next play on Wednesday, February 5, when they host USC Upstate at 3 p.m. The Citadel falls to 0-4.
PC 7, The Citadel 0 (Match One)
The first match saw the Blue Hose blank the Bulldogs at every turn. In singles play, the doubles pairings of Rafael Berghaus (Offenbach, Germany) and Ben Kelley (Weaverville, N.C.) at the second flight and the Spanish duo of Diego Manzanas (Madrid, Spain) and Gonzalo Asis (Madrid, Spain) at the third flight rolled over their opponents in two 8-0 victories. Ryan Miller (Norcross, Ga.) and Grayson Mills (Lilburn, Ga.) held up the No. 1 flight with a 8-3 victory over Elliott Sperr and Dillon Berkabile.
In singles action, two sets came down to three sets. Berghaus needed three at the second flight to push past Peter Bleach, 4-6, 7-5, 6-1, and Asis dropped the first set against Berkabile at the third flight before slamming the door, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.
Mills knocked off Sperr at No. 1 by a 6-2, 6-3 result.
PC dominated the bottom half of the dual match. Kelly rolled over Oliver Dedding at the fourth flight, 6-1, 6-0, while Manzanas handled Joe Bove at the fifth flight, 6-1, 6-1. At No. 6 singles, Miller handled Grady, 6-0, 6-1.
PC 7, Citadel 0 (Match One)
1. Grayson Mills (PC) d. Elliott Sperr (Citadel) 6-2, 6-3
2. Rafael Berghaus (PC) d. Peter Bleach (Citadel) 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
3. Gonzalo Asis (PC) d. Dillon Berkabile (Citadel) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Ben Kelley (PC) d. Oliver Dedding (Citadel) 6-1, 6-0
5. Diego Manzanas (PC) d. Joe Bove (Citadel) 6-1, 6-1
6. Ryan Miller (PC) d. Connor Grady (Citadel) 6-0, 6-1
1. Miller/Mills (PC) d. Sperr/Berkabile (Citadel) 8-3
2. Berghaus/Kelley (PC) d. Dedding/Grady (Citadel) 8-0
3. Manzanas/Asis (PC) d. Bleach/Bove (Citadel) 8-0
PC 6, Citadel 1 (Match Two)
The second match saw more of the same as PC continued to roll in different combinations.
In doubles, Berghaus and Kelley knocked off Sperr and Berkabile at the top spot, 8-3. Miller and Mills followed at the second flight with an 8-2 victory over Dedding and Grady while Manzanas and local product Steven Weaver (Charleston, S.C.) handled their duties at the third fight with an 8-4 victory over Bleach and Bove.
PC only dropped one match in singles action and took five wins to win the day. At the top flight, Mills rolled over Bleach in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. Berghaus used three sets to down Sperr at the second flight and Manzans picked up a 6-1, 7-5 result over Dedding at the fourth flight.
Miller blanked Bove at the fifth flight, 6-0, 6-0, while Weaver handed Grady a convincing 6-0, 6-2 defeat.
PC 6, Citadel 1 (Match Two)
1. Grayson Mills (PC) d. Peter Bleach (Citadel) 6-2, 6-2
2. Rafael Berghaus (PC) d. Elliott Sperr (Citadel) 6-7, 6-3, 2-5
3. Dillon Berkabile (Citadel) d. Ben Kelley (PC) 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
4. Diego Manzanas (PC) d. Oliver Dedding (Citadel) 6-1, 7-5
5. Ryan Miller (PC) d. Joe Bove (Citadel) 6-0, 6-0
6. Steven Weaver (PC) d. Connor Grady (Citadel) 6-0, 6-2
1. Berghaus/Kelley (PC) d. Sperr/Berkabile (Citadel) 8-3
2. Miller/Mills (PC) d. Dedding/Grady (Citadel) 8-2
3. Manzanas/Weaver (PC) d. Bleach/Bove (Citadel) 8-4