ROCK HILL, S.C. – The Presbyterian College men’s tennis team’s run through the Big South Conference Men’s Tennis Championship ended with the squad’s second consecutive runner-up finish as No. 1 seed Coastal Carolina topped the Blue Hose in the final on Saturday afternoon, 4-1.
"I am so proud of our entire team,” said head coach Adam Herendeen. “They have done everything I have asked of them all year and the growth of this team over the course of the season is a tribute to their hard work, dedication and fight. We will also greatly miss our three seniors, William O’Connell, Andrew Brigham and Edward Snead. They have been instrumental in our ascent to being a top team in this conference."
PC ends the season at 21-10, the most wins in a season in the Division I and II eras and more wins than ever posted by Bobby McKee or Patric Hynes during their tenures as head coach. Coastal Carolina improves to 15-5 and will take the conference’s automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament.
The third-seeded Blue Hose received a singles win from Grayson Mills (Lilburn, Ga.) in the junior’s 16th singles victory of the season, all at the top flight.
Coastal earned the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3. John Karle and Leo Christofides defeated Rafael Berghaus (Offenbach, Germany) and Mills, 8-6 at No. 2, while Coastal’s Ted Nilsson and Yusuke Kusuda downed Danny Bruce (Marietta, Ga.) and Edward Snead IV (Greenwood, S.C.), 8-3 at No. 3.
When play concluded, Coastal’s Garik Yedigarian and Matias Di Pasquale and PC’s Andrew Brigham (Birmingham, England) and William O’Connell (Nadi, Fiji) were tied 5-5 at No. 1.
Coastal clinched the match with singles points from Yedigarian (def. Berghaus, 7-5, 6-1) at No. 3, Nilsson (def. Bruce, 6-1, 6-4) at No. 4, and Di Pasquale scoring a 6-3, 6-3 win over Brigham at No. 5.
When play concluded, Coastal’s Kusuda was leading O’Connell 6-3, 5-2 at No. 2, while Gonzalo Asis (Madrid, Spain) was up 7-6, 3-3 at No. 6.
Asis finishes the 2013 campaign with a 21-5 singles record, the most in the Division I era. Bruce also set a PC Division I freshman record with a 19-8 marker. Overall, six Blue Hose earned at least 10 singles wins on the season.
The Blue Hose will bid farewell to seniors O’Connell, Brigham and Snead and return seven players for the 2013-14 season.
1. MILLS, Grayson (PCM) def. Leo Christofides (COASTAL) 6-2, 6-2
2. Yusuke Kusuda (COASTAL) vs. O'CONNELL, William (PCM) 6-3, 5-2, unfinished
3. Garik Yedigarian (COASTAL) def. BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) 7-5, 6-1
4. Ted Nilsson (COASTAL) def. BRUCE, Danny (PCM) 6-1, 6-4
5. Matias Di Pasquale (COASTAL) def. BRIGHAM, Andrew (PCM) 6-3, 6-3
6. Hunter Whalen (COASTAL) vs. ASIS, Gonzalo (PCM) 6-7, 3-3, unfinished
1. Garik Yedigarian/Matias Di Pasquale (COASTAL) vs. BRIGHAM, Andrew/O'CONNELL, William (PCM) 5-5, unfinished
2. Leo Christofides/John Karle (COASTAL) def. MILLS, Grayson/BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) 8-6
3. Ted Nilsson/Yusuke Kusuda (COASTAL) def. SNEAD, Edward/BRUCE, Danny (PCM) 8-3